Light weight basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by buju, Jan 1, 2003.

1. buju

Jan 1, 2003
    St. Louis, MO, USA
    Hi everyone.

I'm trying to find a quality, lightweight, Precision-style bass, and in the under $500 range. The bass I'm playing now weighs in at about 9 pounds and standing up for a while, it really starts to hurt (I'm not a very big person... :cool: ). Any recommendations?
  2. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Nine pounds is a pretty normal weight for a bass.

Fender came out with a series of basses about 10 years ago but I forget the name. They were a natural finished bass and they were built in Japan.

You might want to look into a wide strap or some folks around here have had lots of success with the "Comfort Strap". The strap is made of neoprene, kinda stretchy and wide.
  3. Rod B.

Rod B.

Jun 11, 2002
    You just have to try them. I had a '99 MIA ash P that was slightly under 8 lbs. But yes, 9 lbs. for a P is pretty average IME. Personally, so long as a bass comes in under 9.5 lbs. I'm happy.
  4. banditcosmo

banditcosmo Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2002
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Fender Precision Lyte
    I used to have one. Very light and a nice bass. Try to find the Deluxe model it had US electronics. I don't think they are made anymore but you can get one on EBay. Do a search under bass for lyte.
    Also I had a Tobia Growler and it was very light.
  5. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    I had a Pedulla Rapter that was a feather weight. It was almost rediculous how light it was. But man did it have some bottom end. I kinda wish I'd never sold it. But no Precision sound.
  6. marc40a

Mar 20, 2002
    Boston MA
    My American Standard P used to really strain my back after a few sets.

I switched out the heavy Am Std. tuners for Hipshot ultralights and I play it all night long now w/ no problems whatsoever.
  7. buju

Jan 1, 2003
    St. Louis, MO, USA
    wow, do the tuners really weigh that much? How much less weight is there with the other tuners?
    It seems to me the body is what's too heavy, but i don't know if theres any way to tell for sure.
  8. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY

I own a Sadowsky 5 that weighs 7 3/4lbs! You just have to find a place to demo a few instruments to find the one you like

9. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    you could always have a local tech build you one.

buy a body and neck from someone custom like Tommy at USA Custom. specify you'd like the lightest body/neck as possible, and he'll hook you up. my jazz is incredibly lightweight.

also, make sure you ask for 9/16" or 3/8" holes for the lightweight Hipshot ultralite tuners. the usual 11/16" holes for the heavier BML Schallers will be too big.

on my bathroom scale, my jazz weighs a svelt 7 lbs. even.
  10. watspan

watspan Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    try a used reverend rumblefish xl 4 string--not sure the exact weight but these things are light as a feather and have the tone and playability of much more expensive basses. body type is NOT P-bass, however!
  11. buju

Jan 1, 2003
    St. Louis, MO, USA

i think i'm in love with this bass.
    looks like it has everything i could possibly ask for and affordable too, and i have never seen a bass as attractive as that!
    hopefully i can find one to play in a guitar center or something around here.
    i have been looking around at basses, and ignoring the sound and everything, all of them seem to be really ugly, except fenders (too heavy), rickenbackers (too expensive), and now this one which is even better. thanks.
  12. watspan

watspan Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    That could be the trick! As far as i know, Reverend only sells their gear direct from their website now. I was lucky enough that a local music store still had one and i was able to play it. Wound up buying one off of ebay and was so blown away i bought another one, a 5 string off ebay as well. I think it's well worth the effort to track one down and see if it's right for you. Search the database here and you'll find others gush over the rumblefish--i don't recall reading anyone here having had one and not liking it--except for the styling--which personally I love--one of the few truly innovative instruments out there IMHO!
  13. My two pennies worth-Try one of the Ken Smith BSR 4J basses.

Killer sound and light in weight. Could be the combination you are looking for!!

14. my washburn xb-100 is pretty light. maybe the higher-up models are lightweight two.
  15. buju - if you're interested in a reverend but want a precision style bass, they are coming out with a P/J model sometime soon. go to and find the phone number, give joe a call and find out when they'll be available. apparently the guy from aerosmith is playing a prototype on tour.
  16. tom hamilton? i thought he played sadowsky basses...

Have them build you a P bass body out of swamp ash. that should put your bass in the 7 pound and under weight class.
  18. then that should say something about his choice, eh? ;)
  19. BassWizard55

BassWizard55 Guest

Dec 21, 2002
    Rome, Ga
    My Rickenbacker is light as a feather.