Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Light weight cabinet for vintage SVT?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by drd07, Dec 29, 2004.

1. drd07

drd07

Jan 19, 2003
    :help: I was wondering if anybody could point me in the right direction. My current setup is a vintage SVT through the new Ampeg 412he cabinet. The tone is AWESOME, to say the least. However, I'm getting awefully tired of lugging around both the head and the cabinet. Loading into the back of my car (Acura Integra) is usually a 2 person job - the second usually being my fiance when I'm leaving from my house. I can do the cabinet by myself, but it isn't preferrable.

So, I want to keep the head. It's heavy, but I can put up with it. However, I'm looking for a new cabinet. Obviously a vintage tone is important, but something a little bit more portable is key. I'm considering:

Schroeder 101012 or 410
    Aguilar s410

Any suggestions?
    :help:

2. drd07

drd07

Jan 19, 2003
  3. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    I like my schroeder...whether it will meet your "vintage tone" requirement, I don't know, but with an svt powering it, I would geuss so...

4. kdsi44

kdsi44

Oct 18, 2004
  5. the dude

the dude Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2004
    Indy
    I'm really happy with my Bergantino cabs.

I just got my vintage SVT out of the shop - but haven't had a chance to put them together yet.

I can tell you that I hooked up the newer SVTCL head to both the Berg 115/210 and the EX/HT stack and thought both sounded really great.

6. junglebike

junglebike Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2003
    San Diego, CA
    Bergantino NV610 -- sounds like a really really good SVT 810, and weighs 100lbs. Has rollers built in so it's easy to move.

7. Rock City

Rock City

Apr 8, 2001
    Boston,Ma
    Bergantino NV-610. NOTHING can compare for "that" sound!
    Corey

8. drd07

drd07

Jan 19, 2003
    Thanks for the suggestions guys. The Bergentino looks nice, but it still looks a little big and heavy. The search continues!

9. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    I'm really loving the sound of my Bergantino HT210 & HT115 stack. IMO 2 HT210's (64 lbs ea) or 2 HT115's (59 lbs ea), or the combo would be portable and sound great with your SVT.

-Art

I

10. 57pbass

57pbass Supporting Member

You might want to check out a single
    Bag End S 15 D or a
    S 15 XD or
    the new model..( dont know the product code) its a Bag End 15 in a 2 x 10 cab ( i think ).

11. That would be the S15L-D.

12. drd07

drd07

Jan 19, 2003
    I think I'm leaning towards schroeder. I've been reading through a ton of threads here, but I'm don't know which would better suit my purpose: 21012 or 410. I love lows, but I love definition. Is that an oxymoron? Can I have both? :)

13. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    I would guess that picking up the phone and calling Jorg would clear up a lot of your questions. Tell him about your gear and what you're trying to accomplish and I'm sure he'll have a solution for you.

14. junglebike

junglebike Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2003
    San Diego, CA
    Just make sure the cabs you get are 4ohms so you can use them separately with your head!

15. I had the Schroeder 1210 with my SVT CL head and it was great but lacked deep bass and depth. I would get the Schroeder 410 as it will be perfect as a single 4 ohm cab and will have the deep bass that the SVT is used to throwing out.

Apart from that any decent 4 ohm 4 x 10 cab or single 15" cab would be ok for small gigs just make sure its rated at least 300w to handle the SVTCL power.

16. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Schroeder 410 is rated at 1400 watss, and is extremely efficient. My '68 fender bassman sounds awesome thru it.
    No kidding...

17. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I was going to get an NV215 but liked the Schroeder stuff much better... more portable too

Plenty deep with both my tube heads.... does vintage nicely

18. drd07

drd07

Jan 19, 2003
    James - Nice set up! You surpass my setup with 2 more 6550's. That must smoke!

Alright guys, I think I'm going to give the schroeder 410 a try. Can't wait! Thanks for the input!

19. 57pbass

57pbass Supporting Member

Just make sure it fits in your car :)