Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Light Weight rack or bag ???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by slombovia, Nov 3, 2004.

1. slombovia

slombovia

Jul 15, 2003
    Utah
    I am a determined follower of Jesus Christ and am a Mormon.
    I just got my ACE Porter Rack Case with Retractable Handle and the thing weighs a ton! Why did I bother with an 11 lb. power amp plus preamp?!?!?! I realize it rolls with wheels and handle but I'll have to lift this thing, too. I wish they had published the weight of this.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=live/search/detail/base_pid/547808/

Does ANYONE have a recommendation for something lighter?

It must be at least four spaces: One for my preamp and three for my single space Stewart World 1.2.
    ;-]

Six spaces will allow me to add FX or mixer, whatever later.

Tom H.

Oh, and if anyone wants a 6 space, rolling, retractable handle, rack for cheap, let me know.

2. Get the bag. As long as your not using your rack as cinder blocks for cars, it'll be fine

3. slombovia

slombovia

Jul 15, 2003
    Utah
    Thanks. Who makes a good bag?

4. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I recently picked up a 6-space Warwick RockBag, and in general, I am pretty happy with it. The rack itself is fairly light, and appears to be well made. However, I do find it somewhat awkward to carry, as it does not have handles on both sides, and you can't carry with two hands like a "regular" rack. A lighter rack (say, Anvil, or Cabbage Cases - see www.cabbagecases.com) would be easier to carry. I went with the padded bag more to protect the interior of my car than anything. If that weren't a concern, then I would have gone for the Cabbage.

5. Larzito

Larzito

Aug 1, 2000
    Dallas, Texas
    Need 3 spaces for the 1.2? Is that for ventilation? Kind of defeats the purpose of the 1 space design doesn't it? Anyone ever put it in a two space rack with a preamp and stuck a computer fan back there to keep it cool?

I've encountered the ACE at GC and thought it was awfully heavy for a soft sided case too. If I remember correctly, they have wood (or wood product) inside the soft covering...kind of defeats the purpose. SKB's are lighter and they make roller racks and are the only light weight alternative I know of...some of the other SKB style racks may boast more sturdiness, but are also heavy. I agree the it is silly to obsess over light weight, powerful, good sounding gear only to assemble a rack that ends up weighing a ton.

6. slombovia

slombovia

Jul 15, 2003
    Utah
    The fan won't do much good if there is no space around the 1.2. The heat sinks are on both sides from front to back. Also, there are vents on top of it that should not be blocked. I could have gotten a 1.6 or 2.1 but I wanted fanless for quiet operation and the 1.2 is quite a bit lighter.

7. Larzito

Larzito

Aug 1, 2000
    Dallas, Texas
    I've daydreamed about something like this...maybe someone could whip one up. Is is based on a case a friend has for his powered mixer. Its one of those carpet covered cases that has a base and a top. The mixer sits in the base, and the top claps to the base via four hook latches. Try to visulize:

A lightweight metal frame to hold the 1.2, mounted on top. Preamp mounted under the 1.2. The frame would sit inside a padded, lipped base that detaches from the lid.

The 1.2 would be exposed, good for ventilation, maybe bad if flying beer is in your future.

The lid could have a telescoping handle/rollers. So you roll the case in, set it on the cab, unlatch the top, and the frame with components sits there on top of the cab in the base of the case.

OK, I'll get back to work.

8. I just picked up an Odessy rack bag for my WWU and rack tuner. Very nice plus the carpet rack/box comes out of the bag very easy and makes for a nice neat set up. I did add some rubber feet on the box so it sits nicely on the cabs. Got it on sale at Musician's Friend for like 80.00. Mine is a three space 12" deep. So far I'm pretty happy with it all though my WWU was nice just setting on top of a cab but I wanted to use my extra rack tuner and protect the WWU from what ever falls out of the sky or some boozed up person's glass. THAT almost happened on the first gig....yikes.

9. dcr

dcr Supporting Member

FWIW, I'm only using one true space for ventilation with my Kern / Stewart 1.2 rig. I've never had issues with mine. I am, however, using a shallow rack power strip, so I suppose that almsot counts for two spaces. It's mounted above the blank panel, directly under the Kern (Kern's in the top space and Stewart in the bottom).

I'm using an SKB rack that is, IIRC, 16" deep. It's got quite a bit of space around the sides with the way the handles and supporting "ridges" are molded into the case material, plus some at teh back.

Works great for me, although truly it's a tad heavier and bigger than I'd wanted.

dcr

10. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine

You may be able to get someone to custom build something like that. I have been to the Cabbage Cases store in Columbus, Ohio, and they will do custom work as well as help you build your own rack - they have all the hardware you need at reasonable prices.

I have also talked to Kelli at Undercover (www.undercovernyc.com) about building a rack bag, and they make something remarkably similar to what you are asking about.

Tom.

11. maurilio

maurilio Musician - Owner at Mo's Shop - Tech at Nordstrand Supporting Member

May 25, 2003
    Studio City+Redlands, CA
    Endorsing artist: Nordstrand - Genzler Amplification - Sadowsky - Dunlops Strings - DR Strings

Hi there,
    check this out, let me know if you could be interested.
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=146626&highlight=rack

Have a good day

Mo'

12. i have a rack bag by modern case that i bought at sweetwater. i love it. it's light, it's soft, and it's very sturdy. $75.

robb.

13. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Has anyone tried the Protec rack bags? are they decent quality. I am looking for something light weight and probably 3 spaces.

14. i like modern case because i've used their products before, and they're MIA. that way i know the quality is good (unlike some of the sam ash bags that you can't find a manufacturer's web site for). price is reasonable, but not the absolute cheapest.

robb.