LIGHT WEIGHTCAB VIBRATIONS?/ AVATAR

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rptrsn2, Jan 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rptrsn2

rptrsn2

Feb 21, 2008
    Northeast Missouri
    Endorsing Artist: Aurora Strings
    Has any one using light weight neo cabs run into vibration problems.I'm looking at avatar 112 and 212 and owner of local music store is telling me that light weight cabs have alot of vibration concerns. Now i figure he just trying to steer me toward what he sells but it doesn't hurt to hear from some guys using these.thanks. also what configuration do some of you find best,considering:210-112,210-212,112-212.

2. synterx

synterx

Jan 24, 2005
    Illinois
    He's nuts. I've had many, they don't vibrate more or less.

3. jtc_hunter

jtc_hunter

Feb 16, 2007
    +1

4. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    That's STOOPID. Avatar enclosures themselves ferinstance use the same box construction with neo drivers as they did with non-neo drivers.

5. BassJunkie730

BassJunkie730

Feb 3, 2005
    Brooklyn
    Also you "informed salesman" should have told you that cab vibration is correlated to bracing - not the actual weight of the cabinet.

If he was right - then all lightweight aircraft would shake themselves apart.

idiot.

6. rptrsn2

rptrsn2

Feb 21, 2008
    Northeast Missouri
    sorry he wasn't saying the cabinet construction or assembly itself vibrated but the whole rig itself actually vibrates on the stage as in actually moving and yes i think hes nuts but all the gear i've owned has been lined with lead so i thought i would ask.

7. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    The two are actually one and the same.

8. rptrsn2

rptrsn2

Feb 21, 2008
    Northeast Missouri
    from some of the replies it seemed some thought i was talking about the cab internally as in joints,speaker to cab mount,internal bracing ect. what he is trying to say is that due to the light weight say using just a 112 at around 30 pounds it may actually vibrate off a stand or any thing you have it sitting on as opposed to my almost 100 pound peavey that you could,nt push around.so they are not the same;)

9. synterx

synterx

Jan 24, 2005
    Illinois
    I put my cabinets either on the floor with the rubber feet, or up on a caster board I made so I can move the amp around on stage a bit, and vibration just isn't an issue. I did have my wireless, an XDS-Plus vibrate off the top of my Shuttle on one stage. I was using a NeoX-212T, light sorta, but at around 60 pounds, certainly heavy enough to not vibrate. It was the direct contact between the SHuttle with it's hard thin plastic feet sitting right on the cabinet that did it. The stage was a horribly hollow thin wood slat thing. You could feel it vibrate when you walked on it.

When I've used my light Epifani UL2-112 stack, zero vibration, and with my Bergantino AE112 stack, zero vibration.

10. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Under the wrong circumstances - anything will vibrate on stage - you got an uneven stage ? Carry a carpet remnant for under your rig. I've been playing with neo's from Avatar and from Schroeder for the last couple of years - they are no more susceptible to vibration than my lead lined Bag Ends ... or the lead lined Schroeder 410R or the double lead lined Music Man HD212 or the ... so yeah - your sales guy doesn't have interesting and light to sell so he sells FUD...

11. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    OK. Well, commercial bass cabs don't place bracing and total rigidity at high priority, so less total weight is going to make a cab jump around more than the same thing with adequate bracing.

12. I could see his point if say the cabinet reached near weightlessness. Pushing 500 watts of bass through a pair of 10's in a whole cab that weighs 3 pounds would probably make the cab bounce off the stage on the first note you hit.

Extrapolating that, at say 5-6 pounds, you would expect the cabinet to stay in place, but still vibrate like a washing machine.

But once you get above 15 pounds or so, I figure you wouldn't detect any motion from vibration. And "luckily" they're not making 3-10 pound loaded 2x10 cabinets (yet), so we're safe from cabinets walking away under their own power. :D

13. I believe that what Greenboy (correct me if i'm wrong) is saying is that a cab, no matter how light, has no reason to vibrate if it has been properly braced. In other words, it is the lack of appropriate bracing that allows the ply to vibrate regardless of the weight of the cab, so they are "one in the same." IIRC

14. rptrsn2

rptrsn2

Feb 21, 2008
    Northeast Missouri
    not really,ever heard a 100+ pound 215 vibrate when played it makes a vibrating noise but the cabs not moving or falling off the stage.different

15. synterx

synterx

Jan 24, 2005
    Illinois
    I think this is simply a case of the dude in the store not only not selling high-end lightweight cabinets, but never have used any either. Some sales guys like to spout off crap about things they have no experience with...and hope you believe him.

Bottom line, in my real world experience, lightweight cabs do not have a vibration "problem". I can not find one issue with any of them that would cause me to go back to heavier cabinets.

16. Actually that's exactly what i'm saying, the vibration is caused by lack of proper bracing not weight. If the same cab you mention below weighed 10lbs it'd probs be moving around due to the vibration (poor bracing) you are referring to, the only reason it doesn't is because it's so damn heavy. So again, a cab that is properly braced, regardless of weight, should not vibrate and as a result not move.(whether you can see it or hear it is the same principal).

17. Hizzoner

Hizzoner

Jan 6, 2005
    Chicago area
    My rack HAS made a vibrating sound while sitting on top of an avatar neo 212 but that was NOT the cabinet, it was the cheap rack.........

easily solved with a piece of foam between cab and rack(think cheap yellow bed padding type foam)

18. zac2944

zac2944

Dec 28, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    FWIW, I'm gigging with a 23lb 2x10. It doesn't vibrate, buzz, or move across the floor. Your Avatar Neo 112 is 39lbs and the 212 is 56lbs. You're not going to have any mass/vibration related issues. You might get rattles due to poor construction or a bad driver, but it won't be because the cabs are too light.

There is such thing as a "mass law" when analyzing vibrations in a system which says (in a nut shell) that the heavier an object is the less it will vibrate. We have all see this phenomena before. There is also another part of the equation when you're dealing with vibration that says the stiffer the cab panels, the less the vibrations will be. Also, all this varies with frequency. This stuff gets very complex very quick, so I'll spare you the details. The sales guy you talked to is full of shizzle.

19. rptrsn2

rptrsn2

Feb 21, 2008
    Northeast Missouri
    so if a 1lb peice of foam was to vibrate off the stage it would be due to improper bracing,and i don't think it would make much noise either,i'm not talking about the cab making noise vibrations just moving due to stage vibrations which a lite enuff solid object with no bracing in it may do.i am not concerned with the bracing of avatar cabs

20. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    Yes. But fortunately foam is properly rigid for what its purpose is and has no loudspeaker or mexican jumping beans attached. So this will never happen in earth gravatic conditions. Cabs, on the other hand...

You seem resistant to the voice of experience and seem to deny anyone with actual knowledge of the principles involved. Good luck with that ; }

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 25, 2021

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.