Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

light wieght options

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by NOLA Bass, Oct 23, 2005.

1. NOLA Bass

NOLA Bass Mr. Worst Case Scenario Man Gold Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2005
    New Orleans LA
    Well, I'm looking to get rid of a few of my heavier basses for some lighter wieght models as I recover from neck surgery. Stuart Spector responded to my email (you can't beat companies like Spector and Bergantino, where the guy with his name on the equipment responds personally to email in less than 24 hours). He suggested the Euro LX, as the alder back offers some wieght savings over the traditional Euros and Spectors.

Any other ideas? I think I recall Jason Newsted getting some super light Sadowsky models after his neck problems, but I could be wrong. The article I found only mentioned the whole saltwater test he did in his tub. Hollow bodies won't really work for me because I play in a metal band. I just don't think a Guild Starfire will cut it in that setting.

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    You may think that but you might just start a new thing in metal. Maybe Starfires would end up ruling the metal world because of you. I think it's something to look into, at least. If you use a lot of processing like distortion, you'll probably not even notice it's a hollowbody. And those hollowbody basses can feel like they're blowing up in your hands if you turn them up loud enough. On the other hand, if you're volume freaks, feedback might be an issue.

The Sadowsky basses you're talking about have chambers cut into the body so it lightens them up but still sounds solid. I hear it works well, too. But if you went that rout (hey, chambers in the body...rout...I made a funny!), I'd go with the least electronics you can get away with. Some of those onboard preamps and battery packs can add some serious weight to the bass.

Me, I'd just get a Daisy Rock Butterfly. They look nice and light, and chicks really dig 'em.

3. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    The Fender Zone weighs about 7.5 lbs. It has a P/J configuration and a 3 band EQ, with a Jazz sized neck. It would work good for heavy metal. I can't play heavy basses for very long because of my back, but I can play my Zone all night with no problem. Mine is black and looks great. The stock pickups sounded good, but I was looking for a more vintage sound so I replaced them with Nordstrands. I think it would work well with any pickups you prefer, but you would probably like the stock ones. It comes in both 4 and 5 string.

4. None of Jason's Sadowskys (he has 22 I believe) have the Chambered option. He says that all of his Sadowskys are naturally lightweight - around 8lbs I think. He had been using very very wide and padded straps to help as well.

If you're looking for lightweight basses, check out some Elricks. My 5-string Singlecut is around 8lbs, and some the 4-strings that Rob makes are closer to 7 :bassist:

5. My Sadowsky Alder NYC is extremely lightweight (under 8 pounds) and sounds great with the stock Sadowsky pre. The bad news is, the more affordably Sadowsky Metro's are somewhat heavier.

While not my thing at all, the Parker Fly Bass is also very, very lightweight.

6. I've got a Carvin passive 4 string made of KOA wood.
    It's very light, like 7 pounds! Sounds great and looks
    pretty good too. I don't know how much an active version
    would add to the weight.

Anyway, KOA wood is nice and light. Just thought I'd chime in.

7. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    Don't discount a hollowbody, you'd be really surprised at what some of those can do. My Turser Hofner copy can do metal pretty well, and sounds really good with distortion, with very little feedback...unless you want it. Then it can scream. And I think that guy weighs in somewhere around 6 pounds. Light as a feather.

8. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I have a Carvin B5 with a swamp ash body that is really light too.

9. gwreid

gwreid

Apr 8, 2005
    Utah
    I don't know the weight but I had a Sukop 5 string that sounded amazing and was lighter than any four string I've owned. Subjectively, they look really cool too.