1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Lightening a Mockingbird

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by KillerEddie, Jan 14, 2017.

Tags:
  1. KillerEddie

KillerEddie

Aug 10, 2016
    Georgia
    A cursory search of these forums offers a few tidbits of advice but I was wondering if there re any people who actually own these basses and have actually tried some of these ideas to lighten the instrument. I know BC Riches and I know they're neck heavy. But I'm not getting any younger. Do the Hipshot ultra lights REALLY help that much? The overall weight isnt as much an issue its the neck weight. I've got it well enough balanced with a good strap but this thing still wears on my neck

2. superdick2112

superdick2112 Mile High Bassist Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2010
    The Centennial State
    Sounds like you may be confused as to the meaning of "neck weight".

Lightweight tuners will reduce the weight at the end of the bass neck, but will have very little effect as to the weight that the bass is placing on your neck.

3. Light tuners will reduce the weight some.
    It will improve balance and perception of weight more.
    I don't think that light weight was ever a design goal of BC Rich.

4. bobcruz

bobcruz

Mar 10, 2004
    CA
    If the stock tuners are the same lightweight alloy as on my Mockingbird Plus 5, the weight savings from aftermarket tuners would likely be in grams, not even ounces...probably unnoticeable. You'd have to remove and weigh a stock tuner and compare to the published weight of the aftermarket tuners to be sure but I think the cost/benefit ratio wouldn't be favorable in any case.

5. toprekoms

toprekoms Banned

Aug 22, 2010
    Colorado
    There doesn't seem to be much interest here, but if someone could steer me toward a Mockingbird Heritage Classic bass case, I will be forever grateful.