lightening a small cab like a BBT110

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by TheSuzie, Sep 19, 2006.

1. I had to walk away from a great deal on a Berg cab yesterday because it was heavy enough that I was afraid I would risk injury handling it in real world situations. The difference between 20-25 pounds and 33-40 pounds is a big deal to me.

Since Epui UL-110s seem to be hard to find and a bit expensive for me right now, I was wondering if there was some way I could pick up one of those little Yamaha 1x10 cabs that everyone has been buying and find a way to shave off some weight without weakening it to the point where it would just rattle or disintegrate. Since I have not seen one in person, I don't know anything about their construction. Any ideas?

Please! Help save me from buying a used portabass 1x10 just because it is light and cheap ;)

Thanks,
    S

2. Get a handcart.

3. LesS

LesS

Mar 3, 2006
    no longer a member
    Here is what I would do to lighten a cabinet, listed in order - best is first.

1) Replace the driver with a neodymium driver.

2) Reduce the wood thickness - this is for plywood cabinets, not for particle board. This is done by removing the driver and drilling holes and then using a wood chisel. I would not do this if the cabinet was ever going to be used for recording. Also this would probably lower its resale value. For bass use, after you do this, you might want to add bracing with lightweight wood.

3) Check the cabinet for any specific things you can do. For example, changing the insulation to something lighter. If you add casters, buy the lightweight ones (1 ½ inch with rubber wheels) and then remove the cabinet feet, if any.

4) Drying the wood of the cabinet – this is for plywood cabinets. This is done from inside. Remove the driver and use heatlamps to dry the wood. Do for a few days, keep moving the lamps to different areas. Make sure you have several working smoke alarms near the area where this is done. New cabinets respond better to this treatment.

(My Kustom tuck and roll 1x15 bass amp is the worlds lightest at 64 lbs (stock is 81 lbs) and my Leslie 825 is the worlds lightest at 58 lbs (from 84 lbs). I lightened them so I would use them for gigs instead of leaving them sitting at home. Their strength is still very good – I can put 200 lbs on top of them or lift them by one handle with no flex.)

4. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    Idea: hand cart. I stack mine on one of these: http://www.kart-a-bag.com/html/products.html

That way I only have to move them from the car to the cart and then I can roll them to the stage, and even up stairs if I have to.

If you have to have a light cabinet, you're going to have to look for something with neo speakers. For example, my EBS NEO 112 only weighed about 21 pounds. The light weight is going to cost you, I sold it used for around $650-700 IIRC which is more than my entire Yamaha rig.

5. Thanks for the tips LesS. I will have to find out what the Yamahas are made from. I dont care about cosmetics much - black paint covers a multitude of sins and those cabs are cheap enough to start with.

Yeah, hand carts are great but it is getting the gear out of the car and up or down stairs or through doors that is the problem. I hardly know of any place that is ground level and part of my storage is a loft. I could barely handle the lightest Bergantino cab safely just lifting it straight off the floor.

It is not that I am not strong enough, though I continue to get weaker. It is just that I could suddenly colapse or wake up the next day with back spasms and or horrible pain and spend weeks or months in agony. I have had multiple back surgeries and this time have an inoperable fragmented disk. If anything shifts just a little, I am screwed.

I used to be on a crew unloading trucks and could put a 50 pound sack of potatoes up on each shoulder no problem but that is back when Deep Purple had songs in heavy rotation...

Peace,
    S

6. Aarix

Aarix

May 19, 2006
    Raleigh, NC
    I'm pretty sure those little guys are made of plywood and weigh about 30 lbs.

You might be able to get them down to 26 lbs or so with good Neo drivers. The metal grill might be almost a pound. At that point, I'd worry more about wearing a bass for a couple hours than moving a teensy cab.

7. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    A neo driver will change the tone, so you wont know what the "finished" product sounds like until you have finished.

I suggest two things:

1.) Save up for something that fits your weight and size requirements. There are plenty of options, but they are all costly.

2.) If your usual venues have PAs, consider just using those and their provided monitor system.

3.) Ask for help moving your gear. Someone is bound to be available to help you.

4.) Contact a custom builder, like Lowdown Sound, to have something built for you. They could probably make you something with 8" drivers that are insanely light.

8. Reefer

Reefer Guest

Mar 9, 2003
  9. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

How light do you need it to be? The Yamaha 1x10 is seriously light! Less than 30lbs. and I would venture to say less than 25lbs. I own 2 of them!

10. I would say that it is prudent for me to try and not have any individual piece of gear weigh more than 20-25 and I would only want one or two pieces that are that heavy. 20 pounds seems real nice compared to 30+. I felt a big difference picking up an Ampeg PB110h (listed at 20 pounds) versus picking up a Bergantino EX112 (listed at 33 pounds). Of course there is a difference in sound too...

I just dropped an email to Flite.

I sit when I fool with a heavy BG or play a Danelectro and I don't wear a DB ;)

Sadly my car just broke again last night to the tune of about $700 which means I will have to sell more stuff if I want a bass rig I can actually move.

Thanks,
    S

11. wolfs

wolfs

Jan 18, 2006
    nyc
    All good suggestions, but this one is definitely worth looking into since you can be very clear about all the things that are most important to you in addition to the weight.

12. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I just came back from rehearsal and I used 1 BBT110s and the BBT500 head and they loved it! I used my Yamaha TRB5 and it sounded so deep and full for just 1 1x10 cab. Anyways, I didn't weigh it but I have to change my answer on the weight as it did feel more like a solid 30lbs. Still, I was able to walk in with my bass on my back, head (cables & cords) in a laptop bag in my left hand and the cab in my right hand. 1 trip in.......1 trip out!

13. tjh

tjh

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    FWIW ... I would not try to lighten a BB110 ... they are extremely punchy, well built and sound great the way they are ... to make easier to handle, I would install a handle to each side, slightly offset for balance ... this would make for ergonomically correct lifting ... also, if you were to postion them on a riser of some sort (milk crate?), you would never be setting/lifting to/from the ground ... people are seldomly hurt lifting correctly ... it is the errant maneuvers, compromises in posture, and improper lifting techniques that usually cause problems ... good luck, and lift safely

14. I do have a pretty good understanding and lots of practice using proper body mechanics when lifting, having had my first back surgery over 25 years ago. Sadly, I dont always have the option of using both hands at full strength to lift. I have damage to all my limbs from various misadventures and also a generalized neuromuscular condition.

Even if sometimes I could lift 30 pounds from a shelf and move it a short distance to another shelf at a similar height safely, that is different than negotiating a narrow hallway, doorway or winding stairway that may have clueless patrons who are oblivious. I have a friend who loads into one place by literally pushing people out of the way with his cab. The consequences of the sort of injuries I tend to have are so great, I would rather err on the side of safety.

Right how it looks like my best bets are the UL110, Flite, or the Portabass 1x10. If I were ever to do a rock gig, I would have to use a house backline or have someone move everything for me. I hate this because my favorite rock setup would be a 2X15 driven by tubes....hahahahahah

Peace,
    S

15. Get one custom made? Stick some neo drivers in and should be ready to go :)

Im pretty sure there were a few recent threads about it being difficult to get in contact with Flite, that they werent replying to emails or something?

Its understandable that you can feel the difference between 20 and 30lbs, 30lbs is 50% heavier than the 20!. I really hope that weight of gear never becomes an issue to me! (8x10 - 165lbs, 2x15 - 130lbs(ish), SVT-II-85lbs (not including case) )

16. Reefer

Reefer Guest

Mar 9, 2003
    There is a used Flite cab for sale on bassgear:

http://www.bassgear.com

Search "Flite" within a one week time frame.

17. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005

18. First,
    Thanks to everyone for your suggestions. Flite returned my email within hours, saying that they do sell bare cabs. I just don't know what drivers I would use for their 1x10 or 1x10 with horn. I almost missed it because yahoo shunted it into my spam box. Jive1 also got right back to me about the Epi.

The one on bassgear is a 15" which I'm not sure would fit my needs since I'm not doing rock stuff that much at the moment - heck I'm barely typing....gotta take a break.

Peace,
    S

19. Aram

Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    Hey -- been watching this thread because I have a BBT110. First off, sorry to hear about your difficulties with mobility -- I hope the pain subsides, and that you're healing well.

To answer your question above, I think you should look at Avatar's Neo 10" speaker (in 4 or 8ohms....if it's a standalone cab, I'd go with 4ohms). I put one in a Carvin 110 combo and it sounds amazing, and is very light.

Best of luck,
    Aram

20. tjh

tjh

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    Suzie ... let me also say that you will be in my thoughts and prayers to again be healthy, living life to the fullest as we were intended to be ... God bless !!

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 31, 2021