lightening my slap technique?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Pesticle, Sep 3, 2002.

1. i have been really into slapping for the last 5 months or so and i've gotten my slapping very fast and clean.... but i believe its a little on the hard side. i've broken a few g strings, and i am getting sick of having to turn down for songs that i dont slap the whole thing... guitarist has been complaining about it. i dont want to rely on a volume pedal to make my slapping blend better, that will probably just promote heavier slapping which will just be more of a pain on my strings, fretboard, wallet, etc.

are there any ways i can try to lighten my touch? and does anyone have any suggestions on some very durable strings? (preferably roundwound)
  2. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    It's really about economy of motion and finding that "sweet spot".

Sit down, crank up the amp, and try to find out how lightly you can hit the strings and still get the tone you're after. And then practice there, always staying in control of your touch.

It takes work, but it's well worth the time - I haven't used a compressor, even tracking in the studio, for the past 7 or 8 years, becuase I did this.

Good luck!
  3. thanks pacman .. i'll keep practicing.. anyone else got any ideas?
  4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Slapping requires no more energy than regular fingerstyle playing.

Try to lighten up your touch. Play as lightly as you can, with practice you can find the right amount that makes it sound good but is still as light as possible.

It can help to (lightly) anchor your unused fingers (right-hand ring finger and/or pinky) on your bass' body.
  5. Fliptrique

Jul 22, 2002
    Szczecin, Poland
    Endorsing Artist: Mayones Guitars&Basses, Taurus Amplification
    Maybe your string action is to high? I`ve just began to learn slap, and found It much easier on my new, low-action jb than on my lousy rick copy with very high string action. I`ve also learned to leave my thumb on the string. It helps.
  6. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    Listen to colours fly and catherine wheel by Simple Minds. The trade off is that it doesn't sound the same. If you are breaking strings then you are hitting them too hard. If you like the attack from erm attacking the bass then try riding the volume control or looking into a switchable preamp. At risk of being bushwhacked by the JimK/Bruce Lindfield tag team I would look at compressor/limiters.

Any problem has a few solutions, the trick is to find one that suits you (sir).