Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Lightening tube amps.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Trevorus, Apr 18, 2004.

1. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    People do this stuff to cars, so why not tube amps??? Aluminum chassis, toroid transformers, and stuff like that. what would prevent people from doing that? I really want my amps to be lighter, line my GK head is! Anyone got any info?

2. It can be done, but mainly by using a switching power supply to reduce the size of the power transformer. The output transformer, even if toroid, will still be pretty heavy.

With tube amps, you're pretty much stuck in the heavy category. What's so bad about toting 80 pounds? What are you, some kind of girly man? :D ahuar ahuar ahuar

Chris

3. tomg

tomg

Mar 15, 2004
    brooklyn
    Early Marshall amps used aluminum chassis. They probably switched to steel to better bear the weight of the transformers. You could use a switching power supply, but the big-ass output transformer still stands in your way. If you find a way around that, you just might be finding a way around the sound of the amp as well.

-Tom

4. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
  5. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Well, toroid transformers are a bit lighter than the regular iron laminate core, and an aluminum chassis will help with weight, and heat dissipation. But I was just wondering if there was anything to be done. But I am sure that if it was feasable, and really didn't degrade quality, someone would be doing it.

6. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    That's weird Brian...looking at the link that you provided it looks like that there is at least one E-I lamination transformer in that amp...perhaps both. I wonder where the weight savings comes in?

I believe that Eden's all tube head has two toroids. A switching power supply would solve part of the problem but there is always going to be a heavy output transformer...