Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

"lighter" all tube head?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Aenema, Apr 18, 2005.

1. Aenema

Aenema

Apr 18, 2001
    Michigan
    i use to use a fender 300 ps. that beast weighs around 120 pounds even though the tone was just killer through my sunn 15 and fender jazz bass. kinda miss that rig.... still got the head but anyways is there a tube head that isnt crazy heavy? maybe the boogie d-180 or 400+? i need a head with a modern touch to it since i play a peavey cirrus.

2. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I think that the Eden VT-300B probably hits that nail square on the head. 300 watts, 40 lbs, of all tube goodness, but with more of a modern take on the sound. I like the fact that it has a damping factor switch which can allow for a higher damping factor (and tighter low end, in theory).

I have a VT-300A on its way to me from evilbay right now! :hyper:

3. The fact is that power supplies for tube amps require substantial toroidal core transformers, which means lots of weight. For example, the Aguilar DB 359 head is 50 Lbs, and the DB728 power amp head is 57 lbs.

4. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Yup. Here's a shot of my 359:

[​IMG]

And here's a shot of the Eden:

[​IMG]

5. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    The Traynor YBA200 is 41 lbs. It has the same power tube compliment as your 300PS. 4x6550s.

6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Both works of art.

7. Nice shots, Tom! They show the good, the bad ( :D ) and the beautiful!

8. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    The Mesa 400+ is 45-50 pounds...but you'll need another 20 to 30 pounds of case for it.

9. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Oh my god, I can't believe a "top dollar" company like aguilar would mount the preamp tubes directly to the PCB!!! :eek: At least the Eden has a chassis that the tubes are mounted to. That is just asking for trouble. :rollno:

10. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Well, the rear panel/grill has holders built in which help to lock the tubes in place, and while you can't see it in that photo, there is a heavy steel frame on the other side of that board which is what the tube sockets really mount to. The PCB just happens to be mounted on the opposite side. It's an incredibly sturdy piece of metal, really, and it screws into the top panel as well. That top is held down by a boatload of screws!

Tom.

11. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    my thoughts on a relatively affordable yet very lightweight all tube solution?

tools:
    - cheap, used '70s silverface Fender Bassman from ebay ($350)
    - Avalon U5 ($500)
    - THD Hotplate 4 or 8 ohm versions ($300)
    - 15 lbs. Stewart World 1.2 (???)

method: (taken from the Avalon website, and here's a diagram)

1. Connect your instrument to the input on your instrument amplifier.
    2. Connect your amplifier speaker output to the THD Hotplate, and set the hotplate to "Load". this soaks up the impedence the amp head needs to see and keep the amp's transformer from frying. also, if you buy the 4 ohm hotplate, plug into the 4 ohm tap. ditto for the 8 ohm version.
    3. Connect a secondary speaker output from your amp to the SPEAKER INPUT on the rear of the U5.
    4. Press in the SPEAKER to INPUT on the front of the U5
    5. Connect the line output on the U5 to your power amp.

et voila!! all tube tone with that all important power section tube love coupled with the massive wattage and punch of the SS power section. the U5 acts as the bridge btwn the head and power amp, while the THD acts as the soak, to absorb the impedence load that the amp head needs to see. i've been doing this with my Alessandro Basset Hound, and the tones are glorious.

12. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Have you done this with your DB 359? If so, how did you get around the fact that you only have one speaker output (per 0hm setting) on the back of the 359?

Tom.

13. While it's not 'all tube', the Mesa Mpulse600 is the most 'tubey' sounding head with a transistor power section that I've ever heard. It's their 'simulstate' design, which carries the tube stage a little further than a typical hybred head. It's only 2 rack spaces and around 25 pounds. It has quite a few 'modern' features (per you comment about a somewhat modern sound capability), including semi-parametric EQ section, a very nice compressor, and a very good sounding DI. I actually got rid of mine because it was a little too 'tubey' sounding for my style of playing (I like the fast transients of a transistor head). Anwway, it might be a good compromise for tube sound versus weight.

14. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    Can this be used for any SS amp or would it have to be a power amp? if I could use my Hartke 5000 with my Sunn Sorado I would be all set for power.

15. Turlu

Turlu Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Ottawa, Ontario CANADA
    The Traynor YBA200 at 40 pounds is a breeze to carry around.

It has a good Tone but not with the matching cabinet they seel with it, the 1510 or whatever they call it.

16. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    hey tom,

DO NOT take my word for it, but it might be possible. the U5 doesnt take a load, so, maybe you can put the U5 in the 4 ohm tap, and take the Hotplate and put it in the 8ohm tap.

but i'm not sure if you can run both outputs at once. you might have to call the guys at the aggie shop to make sure. ask for Geof (yea, that's one "F") in repair. he should know best.

i dont see why not? if there's a "power amp in" on the H5000, it should work. whatever you do, DO NOT use the instrument input or the effects loop!!!! :eek:

17. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    Well crap there goes that idea but my Sunn Coliseum has a poweramp in jack...hmm can I skip the Avalon pre and use the tube amp as my preamp?

18. Aenema

Aenema

Apr 18, 2001
    Michigan
    the traynor yba 200 looks nice at 40 pounds and under 600$ new. does this head have a modern touch to it aside from the warm lows?

19. Aguilar And Eden BOTH have lighter scales than mine. Both their amps weigh at least ten pounds more than advertised. BTW, OX, the Eden's preamp tubes aren't chassis mounted. There are cutouts in the chassis for the PCB-mounted sockets.

20. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    you cant, and i think you need to go back and read my suggestion a bit more carefully.

the avalon is there as the "bridge" btwn the all tube head and power amp. in this scenario, the tube head is in essence acting as the preamp, while the power amp is the power amp.