lighter bass cabinets

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by TheInsider, Nov 14, 2002.

1. TheInsider

Oct 8, 2002
    Middle USA
    Why can't bass manufacturers come up with a servo driven speaker like the JBL EON series to make lighter cabs? Any tech guys out there feel free to chime in.
  2. I've seen a couple different designs (on websites) for motor driven speakers for bass applications.

They are huge.

Buttkicker's been developing the AirPump for a while now, wonder where they're at on that thing.
  3. BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Yeah, what he may see some smaller speakers that are servo controlled, but that is not to be confused with servo driven. Completely different thing. Servo control is basically a system that monitors speaker cone excursion and tells the power amp to back off when necessary to prevent speaker damage.

The JBL EON's are light mostly because of their cabinet material.
  4. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    It seems that the cabinet material does determine how light a cabinet is going to be. I have a Flite 15" that weighs 30lbs and sounds pretty good.
  5. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    Nick Epifani is currently trying Neodyinium [sic] drivers that weigh about 5 lbs. vs. the usual 12-14 lbs.

e.g. his 4x10 has gone from 98 lbs. to about 72 lbs. very nice. Brett at the shop says there's an added midrange to the overall tone, and an every sooooooo slight lack of higher highs and lows. but overall, they're happy.
  6. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Nemesis (by Eden) cabs use a composite laminate instead of regular plywood.

My 210 combo is pretty light.

7. TRU

Apr 12, 2002
    Northern Europe
    Some subs (REL, etc) do use cone excursion feedback for extended lows in a (relatively) small cab. Thats pricey and will require active cabs.

Glockenklang does offer "light" series of cabs. They are 20.5kg for 1x15", 23.5kg for 2x12" and 31kg for 4x10". Four high quality 10" drivers alone will weight a lot, neodymium looks intresting...
  8. Ashdown do mini 4 x 8 that weighs 30kg and handles 600watts RMS it's an 8 ohm cab. They also do a mini 15 that weighs 20kg handles 300watts and is also an 8 ohm cab.

When I saw this I thought they looked real nice if a little small - but it did cross my mind to save my back some hassle and trade in my Trace rig!!! Thing is I like the way my Trace rig looks.......
  9. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    As far as cabinet construction:
    FLITE Sound uses a composite material in his cabinet construction. My 1x12 w/ a 5" Driver weighs 26 lbs. and sounds very warm-punchy-full.
    He uses Eminence drivers, and front-porting, as well as an adjustable attenuator.
    I'm very happy with the sound, BP has rated these in their 12" reviews, etc.
    However-As a caution- My cabinet is at FLITE being repaired-The corner became de-laminated causing a rattle. These have to be handled with kid gloves, they do not have the durability of birch, etc.That's sacrificed for the weight. The good news is that Kurt honors his warranty and is repairing or replacing, but I'm still without my gear.
    The Ampeg Portabass series is another ostensible solution, with lighter magnets, but I guess everything is a compromise of sorts.
  10. BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Yep, always a compromise until there's some significant changes in materials. Kinda like the frequency response quandry (loud, low, small cabinet - you can only pick two), the qualities we want in a cabinet have the same limitations.....we want stiff, light, durable, and can only pick three......