Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Lighter replacement for Aguilar GS-210?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Funkateer, Sep 16, 2005.

1. Funkateer

Funkateer

Jul 5, 2002
    Los Gatos, CA
    Were it not for the fact that it weighs 62 lbs, I probably wouldn't be thinking about replacing it, as I like the tight and focused sound it produces. But since it does weigh so much ....

The Aggie is my first cab. Before the 5 string EUB (NS Designs EU5), before the 6 string BG (Cort Curbow 6 tnx MacheteJames!), before the IP-777, before the Stewart World 1.2.

Now I'm thinking that perhaps in addition it isn't the greatest match for the Stewart World 1.2's 700 watts (bridged) into 8 ohms, although you can never have too much headroom. Natrab has my NV610, which I really loved with my BGs when I could push it, but it was overkill for my project studio, and the smallish clubs that I play.

My leading candidate for replacing the Aggie is the Epifani UL-210 (8 ohms). Thinking that I can add an 8 ohm UL-115 when more air needs to get moved, which seems like a pretty good match for the Stews 1200 watts into 4 ohms. On the otherhand price, weight, and powerhandling wise, the UL-310 seems like a good deal.

I need to sound good playing jazz on the 5 string EUB, as well as being able to funk out on my 4 and 6'ers.

Any thoughts?

2. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    the Epi 2x10 cab is a terrific little cab, w/ plenty of bottom end to appease even my low B penchant that's been forever ruined by my Acme B2. and its sooooooooo light. carrying the UL210 will be like going from carrying a bowling ball to a soccer ball.

but the UL310 is WAAAAY louder. and its not much worse to carry. if you have the money, need a really loud small cab, i say you go for the UL310.