1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Lighter Strings for Easier Slap/Pop???

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by jokerjkny, May 12, 2006.

1. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    hey all,

i've used some pretty heavy guaged strings eversince i first picked up bass, but was wondering is it worth me going down a few guages to sweeten my slap playing?

thoughts?

2. Volk

Volk

Dec 18, 2005
    South Jersey
    I would think string tension would be a bigger factor than the gauge, and since you can get looser strings in regular gauge I'd try to find some floppy ones before you go and have you get a whole new nut and whatnot.

3. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    I use 40-100 DR HiBeams or FatBeams on my jazz bass for slapping. The lighter gauge string has a nicer feel to me, with a tighter, more focused sound.

4. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I actually prefer a heavy, stiff string and very low action for slap. I think you get a crisper feel, less string movement, and can play cleaner and faster that way.

Since I play mostly fingerstyle, i've found ways to work with a more flexible string for slap (specifically DR high beams), but if I had a strictly for slap bass, it would be near zero relief and some hex core 45-105s.