Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

lighter strings => more growl?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Berten, Sep 22, 2005.

1. Berten

Berten

Jun 6, 2002
    Belgium
    Detuning seems to give me more growl, so lighter strings would do the same in 'standard' tuning, right?

Any opinions on this topic?

2. Xanaptabil

Xanaptabil

Jul 18, 2005
    Tempe, AZ
    I would agree. Lowering the action helps bring out growl and tone, and this is because you are lowering the tension on the strings.

I used to go for heavy guage strings because I thought it was more "bass". After trying a set of TI flats I really started to develop as a bassist because they were just so easy to play and had that right amount of tension.

No kidding. I suppose it's like starting out on a bad instrument; hard to play, not much advancement. My Ibanez gsr200 is most likely mediocre, but damn it sounds and plays great with the low tension TI's, like a whole new bass.

3. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    I think so, and a few folks have posted on this exact issue over in the "growly nickels" thread.

4. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    Im finding that as well.
    Got a set of Fender 7150 light mediums by mistake (supposed to be medium) so the E is only 100. it felt good and didnt sound as boomy up the neck as my old 105. more of an even tone across all strings.
    was a bit worried about loosing some bass but it never happened, just sounded a bit clearer.

Dave.