1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Lighter tuners for MIM P Bass

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by rustybaker, Feb 19, 2015.

1. rustybaker

rustybaker

Feb 12, 2009
    Hey all, I just got a new MIM P and it's a bit neck heavy. With a nylon strap I'm getting some neck dive. I was looking into hipshot ultra light tuners but I won't be able to deal with the miss matching mounting holes on the back of the head stock, my OCD will take over. Hipshot makes the vintage replacement model HB7 but im wondering if they're light enough to make a difference. Any one have experience with this or could recommend a different replacement? Might just need a leather strap.

2. Hipshots HB7s ARE lighter than the stock tuners, but each one only takes about 15 grams off the headstock. It's notable, but not a dramatic difference.

I've been looking into getting a set of Gotoh GB640s (GB640 which are only 67 grams each, AND the vintage-spec screw holes will cover the original MIM stock tuner ones. You'll have to redrill, but it's a small price to pay.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2015
  3. rustybaker

rustybaker

Feb 12, 2009

Hey thanks for the advice. I'm not digging the size of the gb640's and need to drill. Do you think the 60 gram difference on the hb7's will help with neck dive or too small to make a difference?

4. 2saddleslab

2saddleslab Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    Kentucky
    Absolutely make a big difference. Installed these on my Cabronita and my left shoulder thanks me on every gig.

5. I partly agree with ASATMAN...you'll feel the difference, but it's still a fair bit of weight on the headstock (~86g/tuner). I don't know if it will be enough to off-set the neck dive.

Maybe get a wider strap? Sure lighter tuners do help, but a broad, padded strap will also make a notable difference.

6. rustybaker

rustybaker

Feb 12, 2009
    any chance the gotoh gb528s would work?

GB528S

Looks like a drop in solution, but their site is so vague in description. They are even lighter at 60g.

7. I was looking at those too. The space between the two bottom screws is smaller than the stock MIM tuners, so you'll still have to fill the holes from the original, AND the former top holes will show.

Even bigger risk, if you take TOO much weight off the headstock, you risk dead spots in the neck. I had a 2001 US Series precision bass, and I tried putting Hipshot ultralites on it. They worked great for taking the weight off, but it created several dead spots. In the end I had to give up, put the original tuners back on, and sell it.

8. Tough topic, as I don't think there are drop in lighter replacements.

Here's another thread were the issue was discussed -

light tuners for Mexi Fender P-bass? | TalkBass.com

Op, wider strap, or put a heavy badass bridge on it. :D

Off topic, I have Gotoh GB640s on a AVRI '62 Precision and a '50s Classic Lacquer Precision and they are just awesome tuners; light and smooth.

Hipshots freak me out because I can never find bushings that fit snug, but I'm working on it.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2015
  9. tjh

tjh

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    ... simple inexpensive fix for neck dive can be extending the strap button on the upper horn slightly by using a spacer and longer screw ... the simplest I have seen is using a 1/4" drive, 3/8" socket (diameter should match bottom of strap button exactly) to extend the strap button out away from the upper horn (1") and then re-installing the strap pin ... there should be threads on TB about this you can find by searching ... of course this does nothing to lower the overall weight of the bass, and does re-position the bass slightly on the users body ..

.. perhaps not the type of fix the OP is looking for, but, it is very cheap and effective without altering any of the more significant, costlier components on the instrument, at least enough to see if it is worthwile ... a wide (4") strap with suede backside can also be a 'first step' to try and help the issue (as mentioned above)...

JMHO's ... as always, and in this case just a suggestion that has worked for others (who did not want the expense of other solutions ... if you use a larger diameter screw, make sure you drill and tap as needed to insure not splitting the wood ...

Edit to add: ... post #10 on the thread linked will give you a visual of the idea, but a regular socket of size mentioned above will only extend 1" out, which may be enough, and certainly the shorter the better for strength and leverage purposes ...

Horn / Strap Button Extender (to prevent neck dive)? | TalkBass.com

Last edited: Feb 21, 2015
    Laurent likes this.
  10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 17, 2021