1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Lighter Weight Replacement for an Aguilar DB750?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by peabody, Nov 8, 2006.

1. peabody

peabody Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2002
    La Crosse, WI
    Hey...

So here's the deal...I currently have an Aguilar set up. A DB750 on top of two GS212's. It really is a killer rig. Great sound, punchy, clean, everything a man could want. Although I love the DB750, it is a heavy son-of-a-gun to haul around. I'm getting to the point in my life where lighter is better.

Does anyone have any suggestions for something that has a similar sound of the DB750, that is a little easier on the back? I'm planning on keeping the cabs. It doesn't have to be a million watts, but it does need to be able to carry a 2 ohm load (I have two 4 ohm cabs), and I'd prefer a single head to a rack system. I had an Aguilar DB659 and a Stewart 1.6 before I bought the 750, and when you added the weight of the rack, it didn't seem all that lighter.

I'd be interested to see what you think, although me thinks I just may have to suck it up and be the beast of burden.

2. I think you're right. I don't believe there is a lightweight replacement for the DB750. IMO..

I've thought of ditching my 750 for the same reason, but I haven't found anything that can replicate the sound, while having simple controlls, and the power supply that the 750 dishes out with ease.

3. jdwinva

jdwinva Supporting Member

Aug 3, 2005
    Leesburg, VA
    It sounds like you have a GREAT rig. Why mess with perfection? Yes, you can get a lighter rig but at what cost? The DB750 is an amazing amp!!!

4. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Seems like if you aren't too worried about tonal equivalents the field opens up some. Like the Carvin B1500 maybe. It's too cheap, but you can't have it all ; }

5. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Wuss. Seriously though, as one who as done exactly the same thing, I regretted it so much that I ended up getting the EXACT same amp back. Just couldn't stand to be apart.

6. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Lakewood, OH
    +1

i don't think there is a smaller version. Email info@aguilaramp and ask them if they have something in the works or a suggestion.

7. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Outside Boston
    I've never had the pleasure to play through a DB750. It has been on my short GAS list for a long time. The only thing holding me back is the weight issue. From the reviews I've read, you would definitely need to go with a tube pre/SS power hybrid type amp to replicate the tone of the DB750. I think the Mesa M-Pulse 600 might get close. However, it will NOT handle a 2 ohm load. I don't know much about the new Mesa Titan V-12. It might be getting close to the weight of the DB750, and I'm not sure if it handles 2 ohms. Good luck with your search. I'm interested in lighter weight alternatives myself. If not, I might have to bite the bullet and get one (DB750)for myself. Happy hunting!

Kevin

8. +1000000000000000000.........DON'T DO IT! I have bought 3 of these amps now and if my health were remotely able to handle the weight I would still have one of them....To me there is no other amp that does what it does...The Thunderfunk can get VERY close tonally but it won't handle the 2 ohm load....

Peace,

T

9. TrooperFarva

TrooperFarva

Nov 25, 2004
    New City, NY
    I thought the new 550B could go down to 2 ohms? But I could be wrong. Either way, I gotta agree with the general consensus, if you're really happy with the DB750, I don't think you're going to find a replacement that has as much to offer, only lighter.

10. +1 or you could try the AG500, but again the 2 ohm load comes into the picture. You have two problems. First, you like the sound you are getting and there aren't many options for similar tone and second, you are set on keeping your speakers. 8 ohm GS112s are readily available at relatively cheap prices, at least relatively cheap compared to your amp choices. If I were going to try this I would sell the speakers and replace them with the more popular 8 ohm varieties. The cheapest route would be to keep your present setup and buy a dolly.

11. peabody

Oct 31, 2002
    La Crosse, WI
    I will say one thing, there sure has been a consistent message....keep what I have. I have the head in one of the Aguilar ProTec rack bags, so it makes it a little easier to haul around...but it's still heavy.

It makes me wonder how the people with SVT heads manage it. I think the specs on the 750 say 43 lbs, but I know SVT's are running 80-100lbs...oof.

It's always nice to hear comments from people who also use the 750 and have tried other things and gone right back to them. I think that says a lot.

Thanks for the comments everyone....

12. Actually, I should have said what Dave says...the T-Funk 550B will do 2 ohms it just won't develop more power (and you will still run the risk of overheating the components)....I stand corrected! For what it's worth I haven't had the need to run mine (550A) under 4 ohms so I can't really add anything to that....

Peace,

T

13. hey, I had the same problem but my simple solution was to get an foldable aluminium sack trolley...it folds flat and doesn't take up much space....and it doesn't effect my tone...:) won't help me with stairs but hey, that's what drummers are for!

14. +1 to Smash's comments above. While I love the Thunderfunk, from my limited experiences with the massive DB750, there is just no way that the TF will reproduce the massive thump of that amp at loud volumes. That's actually why I own a Glock HeartRock for use on the rare occasions where I need massive volume and low end. (The HR is IMO a 'cleaner, quicker, SS alternative' to the DB750... similar power specs, about the same size, a little lighter weight).

In my trial of the very impressive B1500, I was actually quite impressed with the size/weight/volume/price/tone/sound equation of that amp.... probably the loudest all in one head I've ever experiences, and it can get surprisingly warm with the drive control. Even though it's not a lightweight and is three rack spaces like the DB750, the very shallow depth and that 11 pound difference results in it feeling MUCH smaller and lighter than either the DB750 or the GlockHR IME.

That all being said... just like the GlockHR, the DB750 is a unique sounding and massively powerful head. My solution was to find a small lightweight head that I really like for use on the vast majority of my gigs, and to have the HR for those rare occasions where nothing else but a led sled will do.

15. Give me a "lead sled" every time. The only alternative I've found to the massive power section of a DB750 is one side (or both) of a CA9 which, to state the obvious, weighs about the same but without a preamp.

I'll echo the sentiments of Smash and KJung concerning the B1500 and if shaving that 11 lbs is really important to you it would be worth checking out.

16. Groovin

Groovin

May 25, 2006
    Wash, D.C.
    Dude, what does the 750 weigh? 50lbs??

Seriously, trick yourself into thinking of it as if it were a 4x10 cab... "Oh man this 4x10 is ONLY 50lbs!!"

If it sounds that good, just huff it to the gig. Your not climbing everest with it.. ounce counting is for weenies. :p :bag:

17. Matt Call

Matt Call Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    Yeah... I sold my 750. I'm trying to save up some money to get another... eventually. There's nothing like it, which is both a good and a bad thing.

I haven't personally played a B1500; but I've heard one in a live situation and... WOW. I've never been a fan of Carvin gear, but the B1500 changed my mind. For the money, it definitely can't be beat.

Oddly enough, I never thought the DB750 was that heavy. But, I do lift... ;)

18. How about an aggy pre into a stewart world poweramp?

19. peabody

Oct 31, 2002
    La Crosse, WI
    Been there, done that....

I had an Aggie DB659 and a Stew 1.6 before the DB750. I had it in a SKB roto rack (and also had a power conditioner in the rack), so it didn't seem all that much lighter. Not to mention the tone is different. Close, but no cigar...

You guys are making me feel like a "girlie man"...:cool:

I forgot to mention I'm in my mid 40's and have already had one back surgery...hopefully my last.

Looks like the 750 will be stayin'...

20. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Lakewood, OH
    what about a DB680 instead of the 659. could you go sans power conditioner and get a lighter rack?