1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Lighter weight SB-2?

Discussion in 'G&L Bass Forum' started by timber22, Apr 2, 2009.

1. timber22

timber22 Supporting Member

I have an SB-2 Tribute and I love the feel and tone. It's a kick-a** P-bass as those of you on this forum know. The only problem is at 9 lbs, it's just a little heavy. Not bad, but I wish it were a pound lighter. I've had back surgery and have arthritis in my neck, so lighter weight is a good thing for me.
    Is there a certain year(s) or model (USA vs Tribute) that are known to be lighter? Or do they randomly vary in weight like some other brands? I may buy another one if it were the right one.
    I'm not sure, but I believe mine is around a 2003 vintage. I have a comfort strapp on it which helps. And, I know I could also mod it with things like ultralite tuners but I'd rather not do that.

2. craigb

craigb G&L churnmeister Supporting Member

In my experience they vary. The Trib SB2s I've had seemed to range between 9 and 10 lbs but I have had a couple of Trib JB2s that were 8.something lbs. The US SB2s I've had ranged from 8 to 10+ lbs. So with some patience you'd probably be able to find a US SB2 around there.

Weight is an important question to ask about any G&L - they vary a lot.

One option you do have is that you can buy the MFD split-coil separately and stick it any bass that has a P pickup without any routing. I picked up an SX short scale P for my son to learn on and stuck an MFD P in it to improve the sound. It's not exactly G&L quality and doesn't have the other features (saddle lock bridge, etc.) but it sounds pretty good for what it is. So if you can find a P-style bass that is light enough and you like you can always stick an MFD in it.

3. timber22

Thanks, Craig. That is an option. Do the pickups sell directly from G&L?

4. craigb

craigb G&L churnmeister Supporting Member

They aren't in their online store right now, it seems to be hit or miss what's listed there.

Any G&L dealer should be able to order them for you. The one I installed I picked up from the TB classifieds.

5. TDR1138

TDR1138

Apr 11, 2007
    Section 204
    FWIW, my 03 Tribby SB-2 is a little under 8 1/2 lbs... Lightest bass I own.

6. timber22

I'll keep on the lookout for a light one. Or maybe put hipshot ultralite tuners on mine.

7. fendertweed

fendertweed

Feb 2, 2009
    my u.s. sb-2 [~'97] is 8.4 lbs.