Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

lighter weight strings

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by William Fairman, Dec 13, 2003.

1. My son is recovering from a hand/nerve injury. He is now able to play electric bass without difficulty, but he still has some problems with upright bass. I am looking for recommendations for quality, lighter-weight jazz strings that will ease the stress on his hand. In conjunction with new strings we will be adjusting the action as well.

Thanks,
    Bill

2. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    I'm not an expert on DB strings (still using the Thomastik Spirocore Mediums that came on my bass), but Spirocore Weichs (light)seem to be the standard for easy-playing steel jazz strings. Maybe a set of solo-tuning Weichs tuned down to standard pitch...might lose some punch but probably really easy to play. I have also heard that Corelli 370M's are easy playing, though they are a hybrid string.

Best of luck to your son...I have weathered various injuries over the years. Be sure he is working with a good teacher so he'll be getting a grounding in proper technique.

3. The spriocore weichs are good, and I think the flatchromes are fairly soft too if I remember correctly. With either of those strings though you'll probably want to swap in a heavier E string. The light gauge ones just seem pretty weak.