Lightest bass you ever played???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ::::BASSIST::::, Jul 25, 2005.

1. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Researching light basses. What is the lightest bass you have ever played?

2. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    SGC Nanyo Bass Collection SB310 4 string ...... not sure of the actual weight, but it felt lite as a feather ;)

Not made by SGC Nanyo anymore .... you can still find them on the 'bay now & then :cool:
  3. Spikeh

Spikeh Sex Strings

A mates travel-bass - not sure of the make, but it was made from plastic and folded up. lol.
  4. My Rob Allen MB2 5 string is right at 7 pounds, and my Sadowsky Vintage 5 (NYC) is a little over 8 pounds. Those are the lightest basses I've ever played, and luckily, I own them both. :hyper:

The Lakland 55-95 Deluxe models made of Swamp Ash and the MTD Swamp Ash models are also very light (under 9 pounds).
  5. Kelly Coyle

Kelly Coyle Supporting Member

Nov 16, 2004
    Mankato, MN
    I got to play a Hofner Club last week. I nearly threw it into the air when I picked it up (that would have been embarassing...). Sounded good, too, but expensive.
  6. Elrick singlecut that was in bassplayer. They had it down at bass central. Amazing how light it was.
  7. pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Victor Bailey Jazz=very light! :cool:
  8. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    The Jackson anti-gravity bass. It is made out of Spruce ( body) and Mahogony(neck) and sounds absolutly amazing. The four sting model weighs 6.8 lbs.The bass place has a four and five string version.

Attached Files:

9. Danelectro DC Bass. Lightest bass ever, full stop.
  10. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    Vigier arpege 3, it weights 3 kilo (6 pounds?) and it sounds soooo sweet, then the roscoe lg 3000 line is very light too rounding the 3.5 kilo range.
  11. ...Has to be the Schecter Custom 4 Diamond Series, I swear I could of tossed it up on a roof with ease. Another light bass I've played has to be the spector performer series(400 dollar ones). The lightest must of bean the Dean hollow body bass(Not the Rhapsody, the other one).
  12. My Ric 4004cii. Barely tips 7lbs.
  13. Starbucker

Starbucker Guest

Jun 29, 2005
    Billings, MT
    Warrior 4 string I played a few weeks ago. I'm not sure about the model or actual weight, but it definitely didn't feel like it was bogging me down.
  14. The magical air bass at far less than half a pound. :bassist:
  15. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    A Spector Rebop 4. Freakishly light.
  16. Smallequestrian

Smallequestrian Rock and/or Roll Supporting Member

Jul 6, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Beta Tester: Source Audio
    Skjold Stage series with a Korina body. I picked up a couple and almost lost control of it it was so light. Fairly affordable for a hand made bass as well. I think it weighed around or a little less then 7lbs.
  17. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    wow. I am surprised there are so many decent quality light basses available. I thought i would get comments like "k-mart special two pounds"... but then it makes sense that higher quality components would be lighter.
  18. lenorules1950

Aug 20, 2004
    Meriden, CT
    Fender P-bass Lyte- lives up to its name :)
  19. mbulmer

Nov 25, 2002
    Feeding Hills, MA
    I played a 5 String Carl Thompson that GGuitars in New Haven, CT had a few years back. The bass was HUGE but thin as hell. Balanced perfectly on your knee and weighed about as much as a grape. I swear when I was handed the bass I almost flung the thing up in the air, as I was expecting it to be a good deal heavier. I can't say much about the tone as it had not been properly set up (It was used). I know that this is not a fault of Carl's. The strings buzzed like crazy and the strings were so high above the pickup that even at max volume it sounded weak and muddy. I thought it interesting that GGuitars had not devoted the time to do a proper set-up on an instrument that they were trying to sell for close to $5,000
  20. Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    +1 on the Danelectros. I recall that Fat Mike of NOFX plays those, because he has back problems and needs to play lightweight basses.

My agathis-bodied Ibanez SR300DX is pretty light, and because it balances really well, it feels even lighter than it really is.