1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

lightest cab withthe deepest low end?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by on1ne, Aug 3, 2007.

1. on1ne

on1ne

Dec 21, 2004
    NYC
    Got a LMII.

Now I'm looking for a cabinet that is 75lbs max but preferably closer to 50lbs. I need maximum mobility for NYC taxi and subway travel. My main sound criteria is something that that will give me the deepest low end with good volume. I'm realistic about the limitations of that size/weight cabinet but I will spend some bucks if I can find a one that delivers. I'm not too worried about tone beyond that. If it's a good cab with plenty of low end I know how to find my tone and I can dial back the excess lows if needed.

Would appreciate any advice on this to at least narrow down the prospects. Thanks

2. superqwertyboy

superqwertyboy

Mar 14, 2007
    new york
  3. ibanezcollector

ibanezcollector Yoyo's Hurt When You Crank It Into Your Face

Feb 18, 2007
    Cleveland Ohio
    Aguilar GS112 I have two there about 45lbs each an the low end is thunderous I can not think of a better cab for a low end freak :)

4. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    Epifani UL410 - 56lbs - soul crushing low end

5. Schroeder 1212L

6. You guys define small and or a lot of low end different than I do....

-410 UL....Light and lot's of low end.... but taking it to a gig in a taxi... not so much.

-Eden112XLT... probably the least low end of any cab I've ever heard (the 212XLT is another story, but it's a horse).

- 1212L.... I love 'em.... light, loud, sound great with the LMII... but 'a lot of low end' is not the way I'd describe the sound at all... mid punchy, articulate... yeah... lots of deep bass... no.

- Acme.... a 4ohmB210 would probably do the trick... LOTS of low end... not a lot of volume (the 'you can have two of the three... small, low or loud' thing).

- AG GS112.... that is a pretty good choice... not quite as deep as the B210, but lot's of low end, and smaller and more efficient.

I think my call would be the GS112... you could easily do a coffee house, jazz type gig with a single one, and could monitor yourself pretty well from stage with front of house support for larger gigs. It would also allow the addition of a second one, which makes quite a nice loud rig.

7. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY

I'll admit to not reading the entire first post. The UL410 is loud, really light, with huge low end, but definitely too bulky for taking a taxi.

Maybe two UL112's would work nicely? They are really light and easy to transport (30lbs each), and I think they get pretty strong low end when used together. However, they won't get as loud as the UL410.

8. Genz Benz 210 XB with the ports at the bottom. Don't know exact weight but's gots TONS of low end and you can pick them up used almost anywhere.

9. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    I second this. I used to have one of these cabs, and they sounded great! Huge low end from a little 2x10 cab. I ended up trading it in for the Genz Benz NeoX212t cab, and that sounded even better! Maybe check into one of those!

10. That cab is large, heavy, and I'm sorry to say, farts out quite quickly at volume in the low end.... there is one used over at Low Down Sound at the moment, and it's been there a LONG time.

Another idea would be if you could find a Bergantino HT122s used. It's slightly under 50 pounds, is only 12" deep, and has lows like a sub-woofer. It's not really meant as a standalone cab (it's the bottom of the modular HT322... the 's' stack), but the low end extension is really impressive.... not a lot of mid punch, but lot's of lows.

I think a 4ohm B210 might be the ticket... deep, but nice mid response and a very mellow, organic upper end extension... nice if you don't need a tone of volume IMO.

11. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    Interesting. I don't remember it being that bad at all. :confused:

12. I may be talking about a different version. It's the 210 with all the round hole ports in the bottom... large... deep bass extension, but doesn't seem to have drivers capable of driving that deep voicing at volume. There is a picture on the Low Down Sound used page on the site....

It might be a different/older model....whatever it is, it's not a good thing:cool:

13. superqwertyboy

superqwertyboy

Mar 14, 2007
    new york
    I disagree about the Eden 112XLT, it's tight down to 32hz and sounds deeper than my 212... it makes the GS112 sound like its under water... and filled with marshmallows

14. Warr Tapper

Warr Tapper Banned

Sep 17, 2006
    Work
    +1. I haven't played one, but I heard one up close. You can't get much lighter and deeper in a 4x10

15. on1ne

on1ne

Dec 21, 2004
    NYC
    Thanks for these helpful replies. I really appreciate it.

Physical size of the cabinet is not as critical as the lighter weight. There's an increasing number of hatchback style taxi's here that could handle a bulky cabinet, but I'd still like it to be around 50lbs give or take, if possible.

16. In that case, you might want to consider an Epifani310UL. It's a great match with the LMII, and the 5.3 ohms lets the amp put out most of it's rated power. It's large enough to put castors on and wheel if you don't want to deal with a cart, and at 47 pounds, you can one hand it up a short flight of stairs if necessary. It will also fit in virtually any back seat (versus the 410UL, which is stupid light, but also a full size 410).

The 310UL/LMII is somewhat modern sounding, and has serious low end... not the deep, deep lows of the Acme, but deep usable low end and quite efficient. Really nice rig, and probably the best volume/size/weight/low end ratio out there if you like the relatively modern sound of a two way ported cab with tweet. I love this rig... I prefer the original series I of that cab, but the newest version sounds great also... just a little mellower in the mids.

IMO

17. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    Yeah, we are talking about the same cab. I was powering it with a GK1001RBII, and it never flinched for me. It is one of the heavier and bigger 2x10's though.

18. permagrin

permagrin

May 1, 2003
    San Pedro, CA
    I believe an Eden 210XST fits the OP's criteria pretty well - very deep tone, 59 lbs., good sensitivity rating - but it's a little bulky, might be pushing the envelope when it comes to taxi/subway mobility (a nice light, foldable dolly would be real handy).

19. Not even the Acme's are tight down to 32hz. IMO, that cab is pure low mids to my ear. IMO and IME. That doesn't mean it sounds bad, but would be almost at the very bottom of my list of recommendations for the OP's tone requirement.

20. Lonnybass

Lonnybass

Jul 19, 2000
    San Diego
    Endorsing Artist: Pedulla Basses
    +1. And I'd be hesitant to use a solo B2 for anything other than a (quiet) jazz gig or as an orchestra pit monitor. Not an ideal standalone if you need to be confident you'll be able to hear yourself.