1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Lightest gauge Low B nickel string

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Sundogue, Dec 27, 2011.

1. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    I recently converted my 5 string to a 6 string and I went with lighter gauge strings for the EADGC (100-80-60-40-30) but my Low B is a 130. Not a big deal, but it's a big string. :D

I'd like to try a lighter gauge B string. Anyone know who makes the lightest gauge Low B nickel string? I'm thinking a 120 or even a 115 to try out.

2. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    The Brains: FretNation.com
    .120 and .115 are fairly common.

There are a few different makers...

D'Addario XL Nickels: .120
    DR Sunbeams: .120
    DR Nickel Lo-Rider: .120
    Dunlop Nickel Plated: .120 - They also make a .115
    Fodera Nickel: .120
    Ken Smith Burners: .120 and a .120T Tapered string

GHS Boomers are available in .115 .116 .120 .121

Dean markley has a SolidBass .120

Thats it off the top of my head...

3. For the Circle K sets (balanced tension), their .130 B matches their .098 E. Your 130 probably isn't so far off what you need to match with that E, which is already likely less tension than all the other strings in your set. I'm not sure I would search out a lower gauge B.

4. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    I would definitely look at the actual string tension of any string I might try. Tension isn't always related to the gauge.

Thanks for the replies so far.

5. ixlramp

ixlramp

Jan 25, 2005
    UK
    Circle K Strings have .112 and .118 sets: Circle K Strings - Standard Balanced 6 Strings
    These are 'balanced': equal tension strings. So a .118 B is the same scientific tension as a .090 E.
    Tension chart here: http://circlekstrings.com/CKSIMAGES/CircleKtensionChart.pdf
    I wouldn't go lighter than a .112 B at 27 pounds, below that tension i find big strings start to lose their excellent tone and become excessively floppy.
    They also do sets with a.051 as the lowest string ... light enough? :smug:
    CK strings are nickelplated steel outer wrap around steel inner wraps, top loading bridges only due to short tapered section.

6. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
  7. Stay with the .130. I have never liked .125s for a B-string.

8. klokker

klokker

Jan 7, 2009
    Steele City, NE
    I have Thomastik Infeld Powerbass strings on my L-2500. They have a .119 B string. Nickel too.

I much prefer a lighter guage B string. But I like a good roundwound "ring" and lots of harmonics.....the lighter guage B strings are the way to go for me.

9. Shegmaface

Shegmaface

Jun 25, 2010
    I use DR drop down tuning strings with a 115 E string used as a B string. I buy a separate 40 hi beam G string to complete a 5 string set.

10. I just put a set of Power Slinky's on my bass with a .135 B string. Does anyone know the tension for that string versus the tension with others discussed in this thread. I'm curious to see the tension comparisons for a .135 compared to a similar .125 or .120.

11. ixlramp

ixlramp

Jan 25, 2005
    UK
  12. joe vegas

joe vegas Supporting Member

Smith makes a fine .120 (regular and tapered).
    D'adarrio has an excellent .125.

I use them both, spread out between four 6-strings.
    they sound full, punchy and articulate, and keep their brightness for a good while.