1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

lightest guage

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by jamesonellis, Nov 18, 2004.

1. jamesonellis

jamesonellis

Nov 12, 2004
    what is the lightest guage string set available,34" 4 string
    i used to have ultrasound double ended(make your own length)
    but haven't seen them in a long time

2. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Thomastik-Infeld Jazz Rounds are probably the lightest I've seen -- 0.89 E string. I'm not sure about the rest of the strings though. A friend of mine uses the top four (ADGC) from a six string set and tuned them EADG. I actually really enjoyed this application. A bit hard to adjust to at first, but very, very cool.

3. lowest normal is a .90 e with a .35 G i believe

4. Tecx

Tecx Radio Rock Leads To Sterility

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    I use Daddario Extra Super Light Guage Pro Steels (95,75,55,35) on my 32" scale length p-bass.

I love them, but they may be a bit to slinky... So I may move to the Custom Light Pro Steels (100,80,60,40) for my p-bass, and use the Extra Super Lights on my new '86 Roadstar with a 34" scale...

They have a great bright and deep piano like tone...

cheers

Alex

5. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    GHS Boomers come in .030-.090, Rotosound makes a set of 66's in .030-.085, and LaBella lists a set of Slappers in .030-.080. Those are the lightest "normal" string sets I'm aware of.

6. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Yessah. I have the funkmasters which are .030-.090 and I can't get enough of them. I occasionaly buy a pack to put in soup.