Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

lightest guage

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by jamesonellis, Nov 18, 2004.

1. jamesonellis

jamesonellis

Nov 12, 2004
    what is the lightest guage string set available,34" 4 string
    i used to have ultrasound double ended(make your own length)
    but haven't seen them in a long time

2. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Thomastik-Infeld Jazz Rounds are probably the lightest I've seen -- 0.89 E string. I'm not sure about the rest of the strings though. A friend of mine uses the top four (ADGC) from a six string set and tuned them EADG. I actually really enjoyed this application. A bit hard to adjust to at first, but very, very cool.

3. lowest normal is a .90 e with a .35 G i believe

4. Tecx

Tecx Radio Rock Leads To Sterility

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    I use Daddario Extra Super Light Guage Pro Steels (95,75,55,35) on my 32" scale length p-bass.

I love them, but they may be a bit to slinky... So I may move to the Custom Light Pro Steels (100,80,60,40) for my p-bass, and use the Extra Super Lights on my new '86 Roadstar with a 34" scale...

They have a great bright and deep piano like tone...

cheers

Alex

5. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    GHS Boomers come in .030-.090, Rotosound makes a set of 66's in .030-.085, and LaBella lists a set of Slappers in .030-.080. Those are the lightest "normal" string sets I'm aware of.

6. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Yessah. I have the funkmasters which are .030-.090 and I can't get enough of them. I occasionaly buy a pack to put in soup.