1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Lightest / loudest combo?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by minus3db, Apr 13, 2009.

1. minus3db

minus3db

Aug 30, 2008
    Calgary, AB
    I'm currently lugging a head + cab back and forth to rehearsals and gigs, but my back isn't getting any younger. :)

I'm thinking that I'd like to get a combo for rehearsals and leave the head/cab for gigs only. While I'd like to get a good sounding combo, I'm more concerned about being heard if it's only for rehearsal purposes.

I'd like to get some people's opinions on loudest output in the smallest package. For what it's worth, I am playing both a Stingray and a Sterling.

Apologies if this is already a common forum topic - a search didn't turn up too much. Much thanks in advance.

2. rogypop

rogypop

Jan 10, 2009
    Croatia
    this one could help, very light and powerful
    http://www.markbass.it/products.php?lingua=en&cat=3&vedi=39

3. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    Yep, I own one of those, precisely because I was looking for a more portable solution for most of my playing than the full rig I was using. Combos don't come much lighter or louder than that (and it sounds great to me). Not the cheapest option, perhaps, but one of the better ones.

You could save still more weight by sticking to just one of the two basses you mentioned. ;)

4. meta

meta

Mar 11, 2009
    +1 for the markbass option. if weight and volume is what you want, that is the best option. solid state, small, and loud.

another option is the mesa walkabout. slightly heavier and bulkier, but sounds a lot better (if you you want a tube driven sound). The thing about the walkabout, is that it has a detachable head. you can get a second cab and leave it at rehearsels, and just port the walkabout head back and forth - it is only 13 pounds and it doesn't get much lighter and sounding any better than that.

http://www.mesaboogie.com/Reviews/BassPlayer-Scout/BassPlayer-Scout.htm
    http://www.mesaboogie.com/Product_Info/Bass_Amps/walkabout/WalkaboutScout/WalkScout.htm

5. I'll go further and recommend this MarkBass combo:

http://www.markbass.it/products.php?lingua=en&cat=3&vedi=41

Weighs 15 lbs less than the 2x10 and is plenty loud. In fact, I've gone so far as to leave my bigger rig at our rehearsal space and take the MarkBass combo to gigs. I put it in front of me, tilted back, and let the FOH guys make the big sound for me.

6. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    Yup, 29 pounds and loud as hell (for its size...but still pretty damn loud)

7. Mastermold

Mastermold Supporting Member

I've been eyeing the Jeff Berlin combo for the same reason. Not light by Markbass standards but for a single 15" combo it's quite a bit lighter than one of my single 15" Ampeg cabs standing alone.

8. I have the 121p and I agree, it's almost unnaturally loud, but still maintains great tone.

9. I agree... I've been looking into the Jeff Berlin Combo for a long time. It's more portable than my current setup (just about anything is lighter than a 1 x 18 cab) and my friend compares the volume to his Ampeg 8 x 10. I don't know about those kinds of levels, but I've played on it before, and it's got headroom galore. Also, with the filters, I can get that warm tone I love.

Now if only it had a tube pre...

10. BullHorn

BullHorn

Nov 23, 2006
    Israel
    I own the 2x10 Markbass combo and I find cheap combos like Fender Rumble 100w to have more low end and volume.

I haven't tried the 1x15 Markbass combo, but the 2x10 combo definitely requires an extra cab if you want to earthquake and not just squak.

11. pringlw

pringlw

Nov 22, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Light. Loud. Great Tone. You want Mark Bass. +1 here again.

I also have a 102CMD combo. I've attached at 151 cabinet to it which I use when I feel I need it. But the basic 102CMD will meet virtually any need by itself.

12. minus3db

minus3db

Aug 30, 2008
    Calgary, AB
    Thanks to all for the informative responses.
    Sounds like the Markbass stuff is what I need to look into.
    I'll be sure to post my findings once I've tried a couple of the recommended combos.

-minus3db

13. Mike Shevlin

Mike Shevlin

Feb 16, 2005
    Las Vegas
  14. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
  15. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I have an iAMP550C, great combo. Light and loud.

Do you always rehearse in the same place? If so, just buy a used Peavey TNT and leave it there. That's what I tend to do. It is so nice just carrying my bass and nothing else to rehearsals.

16. Boogie.Man

Boogie.Man

Apr 9, 2009
    I would suggest the Mesa WalkAbout Scout for use with a Sterling. I owned both a MiniMark and a CMD 102P. Both were nice, but both had something missing when using my Sterling HS. They were too sterile/hi-fi sounding. All of the MarkBass combos, except the Jeff Berlin and micromark, have a hissing tweeter that can't be dialed down. Yea, you can use the VLE in lieu of an attenuator but then you roll off frequencies that you may want. MarkBass has attenuators on their stand alone cabinets. I have no idea why they left them off of the combos. I ordered a Mesa WalkAbout Scout 12" and it just seems perfect with the Sterling. The two seem meant for each other.

I know a lot of people prefer solid state for bass amps, but I prefer the sound of tubes for the same reason I use a '65 Deluxe Reverb for my Silhouette. IMHO, tubes just sound better. The WalkAbout Scout has a tube preamp and a tube driven mosfet power section. It's slightly heavier than the MarkBass stuff but it also feels more solid.

MarkBass makes great amps, but they are also the current flavor of the month. Try the Mesa and MarkBass both and see what you like. You can't go wrong with either, but I think the Mesa is a better choice, especially with your Sterling.

There is a reason why you rarely see used Mesa stuff for sale.

17. Kinda' surprised no one has mentioned the GB Shuttle. I am amazed at the output (lows as well as volume) of the single 12. I can't say I've pushed it super-hard, but I have pushed it much harder than I thought it would go and still be happy to my ears. Great raves from the other players, both at rehearsals and small gigs. 32lbs of happiness, and it (easily...ask me know I know) fits under a baby grand piano. :D

18. Mastermold

That's why the Markbass combo I'll probably get is the Jeff Berlin -- no tweeter.

I bet Mesa's stuff is great too, I've just really fallen for Markbass lately.

19. Mastermold

The GB Shuttle get great reviews for tone but (I believe) is not as loud as some others in its category, probably the reason it's not mentioned.

20. Mastermold

My only experience with the Jeff Berlin combo has been at my local GC, but I pushed it pretty hard (not for very long mind you) and it's definitely loud, but not Ampeg 8x10 loud. But still loud enough for small rooms or perhaps larger with adequate PA support. I really liked the tone.