lightest practical gauge of Hibeams

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by jazznut, Oct 10, 2016.

Tags:
  1. jazznut

jazznut

Sep 20, 2016
    I use Hibeams & have noticed that 40 & 45 gauges keep their ping &don't integrate well with the others 105--60 that go flat quickly. I am thinking of going 95 75 55 40 now. It's paradoxical that a thicker gauge string will have a fatter sounding fundamental, but can also emit brite overtones because of being tightly stretched--so it's not a given that going lighter will be brighter. I want a perceived greater consistancy of timbre & wear (won't go down to 90-50 for the e-d strings) & want to see if others have this problem & fixed it. I can't afford to always be replacing these strings

2. After a lot of experimenting, I've settled for 45-60-80-105 (or something as close to it as possible) as my ideal gauges for achieving the optimal balance both in tension and tone.

If you want to go lighter, I would suggest 40-55-75-100.

3. jazznut

jazznut

Sep 20, 2016
    Thanx for replying. Those gauges are precisely what I use on my Marcus Miller bass, & yes that is optimal for balanced tension (& tone for the most part). I do find that right out of the box the .045 gauge is quite "pingy" compared to the others. The problem gets worse as the lower strings go flatter st a much faster rate than the G string. (The thicker the string the faster it goes flat!) At the rate things are going I will end up starting off with an uncoated 45 fatbeam & 60 80 105 Dragonskins with the 105 getting changed every month, the 80 changed every other month & the 60 changed seasonally, & the 45 staying on about 6 months... or something along those lines.

On my 6 string fretless I have 125 100 80 60 40 25 I put on last December & the 25 & 40 are still too darn twangy.

4. jazznut

jazznut

Sep 20, 2016
    Incidentally I started a thread asking what I could coat my 25 & 40 gauge string to flatten them quickly & understandably nobody replied

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 19, 2021