Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

lightest-weight high end bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Obsius29A, Feb 5, 2005.

1. Obsius29A

Obsius29A

Dec 20, 1999
    Huntington, NY
    Hi all. Simple question, really. I'm looking to get a gorgeous high end bass that is as low weight and fast playing as possible, because this band I'm in now requires both physical and musical gymnastics. Our first show is with an orchestra, and I have to be playing like a mad man and my Alembic is just too god damn heavy.

2. BoiNtC

BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    My MTD is VERY light, I'd say it feels about 5-6 pounds, not quite sure though never weighed it, I don't know what makes it so light, might be the korina body, the neck is wenge/maple.

3. Obsius29A

Obsius29A

Dec 20, 1999
    Huntington, NY
    man... I would simply love to have an MTD 4 with Korina! I played one in a beautiful translucent green and a very fast maple board that would be perfect for this gig. Hmm... maybe I can find a used one.

4. The lightest bass(es) I've played was a Skjold 4 string weighin in @ 6.5 lbs. with great playability and a Benavente chambered.

5. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    It's gonna depend on the woods used to build the bass, of course, but I once played a 6-string Elrick single-cut that was unbelievably light! It was swamp ash with a burl maple top and a cocobolo fretboard.

6. JOME77

JOME77

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    +1
    Elricks are easily the most consistantly light basses I've every played. And they sound like a tone machine! :bassist:

7. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    I was absolutely amazed at the volume of sound coming out of the featherweight Elrick I played a while back.

8. The Hammer

The Hammer

Jul 13, 2004
    I just took delivery of a Status headless 5 string stealth bass. Since it is all graphite it is much, much lighter than my Alembic or my Warwick and sounds tremendous.

9. dcr

dcr Supporting Member

My MTD 535 weighs about 8 pounds, probably a shade less. Doesn't get much higher end than that. And it's plenty light -- could carry that thing forever. Too bad I won't carry it to the dives that I play most of the time. They're Peavey-land!

dcr

10. gapupten

gapupten

Dec 29, 2004
    32" scale - wicked fast neck - Very light.

11. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    Zon... no question. Light as a feather, tone for YEARS, ultra fast thin neck, highly durable, comfy 34" scale, and yet an awesome B (if yer considering a 5). Get one. :)

12. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    who cares about the weight

buck up , u wimp

13. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    Hey I figure this is a troll post, but just in case it's not, the original post says "gorgeous high end bass that is as low weight and fast playing as possible", so I guess the originator of the thread does. :)

14. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I have only seen the ad here on TB, but Wendler ElectroCoustic claims 5.5 pounds. Click on the banner ad when it pops up.

15. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Not really "high end" but certainly not lacking in quality are the Spector Rebops. I about did a double take when I picked up the 4 string version, and the 5 was no different. Seriously the lightest of the basses I've played.

Of course, Basslab makes the ultimate light bass: like, 3 lbs.

16. ShamrayBass

ShamrayBass The Bass Custom Shop

Dec 29, 2004
    Moscow. RUSSIA
    If "high-end" is a euphemism for "expensive" then this 1962 Jazz does it for me. Light as a feather, awesome sounds, and absolutely the easiest-playing Fender bass i have EVER TOUCHED. I spent almost an hour yesterday taking all the measurements on this one (The owner wants us to clone him a fretless version...) :)

Attached Files:

17. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    They're not exactly Foderas, but Reverends are amazingly light and have great tone. Too bad they are hard to find!

18. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    Light basses that I have owned thus far:

Elrick
    Lull
    MTD
    Nordstrand
    Sadowsky
    Zon

Basses to avoid due to weight:

Fbass
    Ken Smith
    Modulus

If I were to pick one bass to use because of it's size and overall playability, it would hands down be the Elrick. The body is this and light in weight and the sound is huge.

19. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    Gullible's Balsa-Styro Pro 2000. available in many styles.

20. When i went to the MTD Shop he had an incredibly light bass (body only). It must've weighed under half a pound