1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Lightfoot Labs Goatkeeper Tremolo

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by tumpinjahosafat, Mar 9, 2008.

1. tumpinjahosafat

tumpinjahosafat Guest

Nov 11, 2006
    Any thoughts on this? The search bar wouldn't find me anything so i figured id ask. Ive found a few video demos, and a few audio. It looks like a sick tremolo, you can program different settings of the tremolo by multiplying the speed (set by the tap tempo) and then sequencing them in any order you like. It looks really cool, a little pricey at around 300 USD but id give it a try once i get the bucks. Anyone TB'ers have this pedal and would like to share experiences?

[​IMG]

http://www.lightfootlabs.com/ (official website)
    http://www.analoguehaven.com/lightfootlabs/goatkeeper/ (some clips)

2. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    I've been going nuts to get one, but the original run is totally sold out and the Goatkeeper 2 list is totally sold out.

3. Ron Now

Ron Now

Sep 3, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Endorsing Artist: Fuzzrocious Pedals
    These dudes are bastards...make more pedals, and stop toying with my need of that one.

4. tumpinjahosafat

tumpinjahosafat Guest

Nov 11, 2006
    ya since i made this thread ive done some more research, and i found out that yes, the first run sold out then they went into redesigning and their going to redo the artwork and make it in a smaller enclosure. But i didn't hear that they sold out the second run...that last bit of news just killed me. I really want this pedal badlllyyyyyyy

5. JoshC

JoshC

Nov 19, 2006
    Lancaster, PA
    It's just too hard to get ahold of. Maybe when he starts making them on a regular basis it will be a little more tempting. Right now it's just got that whole: "Aren't I awesome? But you can't have me. :p" thing going on.

6. whoatherechunk

whoatherechunk

Apr 4, 2008
    man. these things sound totally rad....they are like a suped up version of the empress tremolo.

7. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    gk2_enclosure_rear.
    gk2_enclosure.
    It looks damn cool, and it has lots of different options to play with, but it looks like it's still delayed:
    http://www.lightfootlabs.com/

But it sounds very cool though:

8. grygrx

grygrx Lookout! Here comes the Fuzz! Supporting Member

Dec 24, 2003
    Columbia, MO
    I asked Sean at analogue haven to put me on the list like a year ago. He didn't seem to think it would happen, but each time I check it seems like there is still some forward progress.

9. whoatherechunk

whoatherechunk

Apr 4, 2008
    i'm going to call analogue haven to put me on the list. hopefully it's not like the toneczar list.

10. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    There's a local guitarist I know who has one. I've heard him use it in a band mix, but not by itself.

I've always been curious, but after selling the Empress because it was overkill, I can't imagine I'd pony up for a Goatkeeper even if I could find one.

11. excane

excane Banned

Aug 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    Damn now.....if it has a goat on it, I think I eventually must have one.

VERY, very nice looking effect.

12. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Honestly dudes, trem on bass is useless.

13. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    Kings Of Leon have used it tastefully in a couple of songs. But this unit would be overkill for that kind of sound, more usefull in a big board of fuzzes, synths and moogerfoogers!

14. jetofuj

jetofuj

Jun 16, 2008
    PL
    I still want to pick up Empress tremolo. I also think that it's overkill, but I cannot find simpler tremolo with square wave which is as good quality as Empress.

15. What do the middle 4 knobs actually do?

16. RCCollins

RCCollins Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    Anyway, as awesome, as diverse as this goatkeeper (and the Empress for that matter) appears, the lowpass mode on the EBS trem makes their waveform selectors less impressive somehow.

17. Jared Lash

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    Yeah, I don't know how the Goatkeeper does in terms of square wave. My guess would be pretty good, though it seems to have a lot of other wave forms that I'm not sure I'd use.

The Empress does do square wave really well though. I may pick up a Earthquaker Hummingbird at some point for that purpose.

18. grygrx

grygrx Lookout! Here comes the Fuzz! Supporting Member

Dec 24, 2003
    Columbia, MO
    Just a note, I think the hummingbird v2 is out (or about to be out).

19. RCCollins

RCCollins Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    EBS TremoLo. It has fewer features than the Empress, but it has a square wave that sounds GREAT on bass and as I mentioned moments ago, the lowpass mode makes it useful on bass in a way no other trem I've tried is.

20. Jared Lash

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    Always hard to tell if Toasted is being serious or engaging in a Munji style fishing expedition. Any any event, I posted this a while back in terms of using tremolo on bass:

Things have changed for me. Playing a lot with a sub-bass type sound (for dub & d'n'b style stuff) it limits the use of trem and the Empress doesn't have the headroom (especially on square wave) to really get pegged with loud, deep bass sounds (OC-2 into Moog LPF) without artifacts so I no longer have mine.

Still, if I was doing indie or post rock stuff, or even classic rock in a CCR type vein I'd still have it on my board. But I still can't imagine the Goatkeeper not being overkill for a bass player unless you were a solo/ERB player who used it when playing up high.

Otherwise I'm guessing it's similar to the Cusack stuff (Tap-A-Whirl, Tap-A-Phase). Very cool, but too many of the features/modes are too subtle to really make a difference.