Lighting company cost

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by mikeyvr6, Jun 15, 2017.

1. mikeyvr6

mikeyvr6

Feb 19, 2002
    Wisconsin
    I'm helping my company plan our annual Christmas party, in which my band will be the entertainment. I've got an established and experienced sound company chosen, and his price and is great for a full evening of dinner music, executive comments, comedian, and band. However, his light inventory isn't cut out for the "wow" factor my company would like to see. So the sound guy suggested I should contract with a lighting company, and recommended one. I was shocked at the costs quoted, though I've never priced lights separately. His email back to me:

My basic production starts at $ 350.
    This includes
    One console Operator
    One console. Martin M-1
    8 18 x 8 watt 4 way RGBW.
    Moving lights start at
    $100. For beams Chauvet Legend SR230
    $200 for Hybrid (spot,beam,wash) Martin Axioms
    $250.for large Spot Martin Vipers
    $85. For wash Chauvet R2 Washs
    $100. For multi spot Chauvet R1 FXB
    This is per fixrure . I have over 100 led fixtures available.
    This is plus trucking and each additional person for set up/ tare down

The basics of the party: a Saturday in early December at a large resort in Wisconsin. 700 in attendance. Seven piece band. Set up and soundcheck by 4:30pm, 6pm dinner, 7:30pm comments, 8pm comedian, 9pm band. Event ends at Midnight.

Can anybody give me an opinion if this guy is on target or nuts?

2. Seems fine to me. You have to understand the costs associated with purchasing and maintaining that kind of equipment. Those Martin vipers cost $12,000 each. 250 for a rental price is fair. The rest of it seems to be scaled accordingly.

3. filmtex

filmtex

May 29, 2011
    Seems pretty fair and the lights are really going to make the evening. If it were me I'd go with the basic package and one or two moving head fixtures as the budget supported. Sounds like a cool event. Have fun.

4. Yep, you'd have to pay me $350 just to pack up my basic light show and leave the house. Travel, load in, load out, set up, and running lights is no easy task.

Pro Tip: Since the client specifically mentioned the wow factor, do light up the dance floor, not just the band.

5. I think the prices are fair. I did lighting for a company for about 20 years. Lighting is tough work. Lots of work over your head, and those moving and intelligent fixtures are usually heavy.

Eight watt fixtures are pretty bright. Those and maybe a few moving fixtures, and something for the dance floor shouldnt be too outrages and would look pretty nice.

Thats just my .02

BnB

6. mikeyvr6

mikeyvr6

Feb 19, 2002
    Wisconsin
    Thanks for the input guys, good to hear this guy is in line!