Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Lighting cymbals on fire

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by fatbassjazzer, Apr 18, 2005.

1. fatbassjazzer

fatbassjazzer

Feb 27, 2004
    ATL
    Has anybody ever done this? I've seen it a couple times by people and I was wondering how you would do it. I would think you could rub some gasoline on the front half of it and then put some vaseline where you want the fire to stop and just light it. I have no clue how long the fire would actually last though. I have a bent up old cymbal I want to try this to.

2. Thee

Thee

Feb 11, 2004
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    I think you should try it live and see what happens.

3. Don't use gasoline, it's far too combustible. I believe Jimi Hendrix used lighter fluid when he set his guitar on fire.

Bear in mind that clubs generally will not allow any pyrotechnics on stage, following the Great White tragedy a few years ago.

4. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    yeah, we have done this. lighter fluid of some sort of naptha

5. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Yes!

Use gas!

Can you get magnesium powder? If so, make a slurry of gas and magnesium powder...But most of all...TAKE PICTURES. I think the local news media would probably pay well for them when you burn the club down.

I heartily encourage the distruction of as many crash cymbals as are possible.

Then maybe I'd get along with drummers.

6. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    Don't do it. Don't attempt it or you are asking for trouble. Your band could be the next Great White.

7. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Moment of silence for those folks... hopefully their deaths put the end to stupid crap like this. For some reason, I doubt it though...

Ray

8. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    Lighter fluid, anything more is stupid.

But I wouldn't do it if you're going to be in a small club. Cramped room + electrical wires all over the place + 3 or more flamable objects in close proximity= trouble.

I've seen a few groups people light their cymbals on fire and one person lighting their trumpet on fire. If you're going to do it, make sure you have a fully-charged fire extinguisher at hand.

In fact... if you're asking this on a bass forum...you probably shouldn't be doing it at all.

9. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Make sure you do it in a club that you never want to play in again, too.

10. Why just the cymbals? Why not drench your whole kit in gasoline and and tape some sparklers to your drum sticks? I bet that would look wicked rad, dude!!! For added effect, put some gunpowder in the kick drum!!! :D

11. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Make sure to practice this before you get to the club, that way you only kill yourself, and not 150 other people.

Ray

12. fatbassjazzer

fatbassjazzer

Feb 27, 2004
    ATL
    I wasn't planning on doing it at a club. I was just curious as to how people do it. No plans on doing it.

13. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Lighter Fluid or Sterno, try this OUTSIDE first,sterno is a vasiline type gel with acohol in it. It burns very slow and not real hot. DO NOT USE COLEMAN FUEL or white gas, that stuff makes gasoline seem like water. And yes by all means try it , I'm glad to contribute to the destruction of all non bass instruments! ;)

14. Perfect-Tommy

Perfect-Tommy

Mar 28, 2004
    Ohio
    There's something that has a name like rubber cement, but it's not... It's sticky and works a lot like rubber cement only it burns at a much lower temp.

*DO NOT ATTEMPT THE FOLLOWING STORY*

I knew a guy that put it on his arm in chemistry, then lit his arm on fire. It burnt at a low enough heat that it actually didn't burn him. Another joker in my class tried it with rubber cement and wore a wrap around his burnt arm for about 2 months...

I would assume that it's adhesive nature and low burn rate would do well for such a task... but... I could also assume that being a cymbal, there's a chance when you crash it that the rubber what's-it could fly off and stick to something while still burning...

Maybe a flaming hi-hat?

15. fatbassjazzer

fatbassjazzer

Feb 27, 2004
    ATL
    I agree. If I were to go so far as to actually try it, it would be outside. I wouldn't do it in a club.

16. I want video. Just in case anyone does try it.

17. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Have a fire extinguisher ready. Oh, and don't use wooden sticks. They catch fire too.

18. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Matt Till is pretty good at setting stuff on fire.:smug: Maybe he will see this thread.

19. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Well if you're just curious as to how people do it, when I saw Beck in concert back in the early to mid 90's his drummer took some of the same kind of lighter fluid you might put in a zippo (comes in a yellow bottle I think), squirted it all over his symbols and then on the ends of some mallets, lit the mallets and then struck the symbols with them. This was at a club in which the bands play outside in the back. The stage and most everything around it was made of stone.

brad cook

20. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    My brother and I used to stage fake car wrecks with coleman white gas, it melted matchbox cars to little cinders.

I'm glad to hear this is an academic question and not the start of a bad plan.