1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Featured Lightning Boy Audio Releases "2020 Instrument Transformer"

Discussion in 'News & PR' started by TalkBass, Jul 3, 2020.

1. TalkBass

TalkBass News Poster

Mar 12, 2004
    Lightning Boy Audio introduces the 2020 Instrument Transformer to help bridge the gap between FX pedals and studio gear. This is a 1:1 ratio, high impedance, studio-grade audio transformer in a small pedal enclosure. It was designed specifically for use with high impedance instruments and FX pedals. The 2020 can be placed anywhere in your instrument's signal chain (1/4" jacks), to add some studio transformer tone. The tonal effect becomes magnified when either multiple 2020’s are added to your chain or when one becomes saturated by a boost pedal. The 2020 requires no power supply to operate, introduces no noise, and exhibits extremely low insertion loss, all while providing an exceptionally wide bandwidth. The 2020 Instrument Transformer was designed and is manufactured by Lightning Boy Audio in the USA.

$99 USD direct from https://www.lightningboyaudio.com.

tech2020lightC.jpg

2. Could this also function as a line isolation transformer similar to the Palmer Pli01 and Radial IceCube, albeit an unbalanced/colored one? I split my signal using a Micro POG, with the effected octave up going to a secondary pedalboard and onto a guitar amp, and the dry out going through my main pedalboard to a bass amp. The Palmer is hard to get a hold of, and the Radial IceCube would need a bunch of adapters, making it a pain to tuck underneath the board.

3. lightningboy

lightningboy Commercial User

Apr 3, 2012
    USA
    Sorry, this is not an isolation transformer in the sense of isolating the ground. If you have a ground loop, this will not eliminate it. Connecting all your gear to a single power source (ie. surge protector or power conditioner) and routing that to one outlet will undoubtably help with that if you haven't already tried it.

jcburn likes this.
  4. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    Is there a rack version coming?

5. mb94952

mb94952 Endorsing Artist : SFARZO STRINGS Supporting Member

I'm unsure of the purpose of this because I'm not an engineer, etc and I've never heard of this kind of gear, but I am intrigued. Is this Lightning Boy necessary if I use a head that already has a tube front end ? I'll have to do more research as to what a transformer does. All I know about a transformer is either my amp has an iron transformer or a class D, lighter weight one. The video with the Lightning Boy sounds way more crisp and clean than without. Is that the point ? Forgive my ignorance. - Mike

6. dmt

dmt

Apr 19, 2003
    Orbiting Sol
    This could be cool for recording, to get away from (or at least have an alternative to) the sterile transformerless preamps on modern audio interfaces. Between a tube pre or two and one or two (two for stereo or just multiple mics) of these transformer-in-a-box boxes, you might have some alternatives so as to be able to get some nice color in your recordings.

Something like this potentially could be useful for microphones, too

ThinCrappyTone, jebmd and mb94952 like this.
  7. mb94952

mb94952 Endorsing Artist : SFARZO STRINGS Supporting Member

Thanks for the explanation.

dmt likes this.
  8. Cave Puppy

Cave Puppy "Humph Bo, he's wond!" - John Lennon

Jan 13, 2015
    Bought one. Love it!

9. N4860

N4860

Mar 28, 2017
    Kitchener
    What is your chain like, and where did you put the transformer in it? Are you using it for recording, and if so, what have you noticed with how it affects your tone? Thanks!

Cave Puppy and mb94952 like this.
  10. Cave Puppy

Cave Puppy "Humph Bo, he's wond!" - John Lennon

Jan 13, 2015
    I go: Bass (passive P) > tuner > 2020 > interface (Audient EVO4). Warms it up nicely. Adds a fullness that otherwise wasn't there.

N4860 likes this.
  11. tekhedd

tekhedd Tone chaser Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2009
    Colorado, USA
    Owner/operator of BYTE HEAVEN
    So, if I understand this right, it's a (more or less) 1:1 transformer used as a transformer-saturation effect? That's pretty cool actually, but really hard to understand. From the press release I thought it was some sort of DI box and almost tuned out completely. Just FYI.

12. AdeptBerry

AdeptBerry

Aug 4, 2020
    You should collab with electroboom

13. scubaduba

scubaduba Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    Cool device! Several of us have used/are using these... check out the Lightning Boy thread.