Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Lights....Camera...My action sucks!!!

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by quatre03, Apr 3, 2005.

1. quatre03

quatre03

Aug 20, 2004
    ok I have a Yamaha TRB-6P, and i just had it defretted about a month ago, and the action is super high(for my tastes). It slows me down, and its much harder to get the strings down to the fretboard. I had the same problem with another bass and i just put a shim in it and it was fixed, but i cant do that to this one, because its a neck thru. i've got the saddles sitting as low as they can physical go on the C, G, and D strings, and the A, E, and B are up a little, with some bow in the neck to keep them from bouncing off the fretboard I dont mind that, but the other C-A strings i'd like to lower, is there any way to do that?

2. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    If the neck is bowed away from the strings you can tighten the truss rod. You can use lighter guage strings - and THEN tighten the truss rod as there'll be less tension. You can use NYLON string which are way softer and easier to play. You can carve away underneath the bridge and sink it a little more into the body. You can get used to the high action. You can consider your defretting experiment a failure and chuck the bass. :)

3. quatre03

quatre03

Aug 20, 2004
    yeah but its a $3000 bass that i had profesionaly defretted by John @ www.bassalone.com he did a great job, i just perfer the action be lower than it is. I do have a heavier guage strings on now espicaly for a 35inch scale.I really dont want to cut into the saddles because it has piezos, i'm not sure how that would effect the sound.

4. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    How's the nut on it? If you didn't file it down the strings on the open notes will be higher, once you fret though that's out of the equation, and I think Joe Nerve told ya the rest of the story :).

Ray

5. Kelly Coyle

Kelly Coyle Supporting Member

Nov 16, 2004
    Mankato, MN
    If it was me and I had a 3K$ bass that was just defretted and I didn't like the action I'd go back to the defretter, drop another $60 (whatever) and get him to get the action where I wanted it. Good techs can do magic.

6. quatre03

quatre03

Aug 20, 2004
    He did grind the nut down, but the strings are thicker than the grooves that are cut into the nut on the lower strings
    i'll give him a call and see what he can do.