Lightshow-in-a-stompbox - one of the cooler Kickstarters I've seen this year

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by sleeplessknight, Dec 27, 2015.

1. sleeplessknight

sleeplessknight Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2002
    Seattle
    This came across my FaceFeed earlier, thought it was cool enough to share with you guys:
    StompLight Stage Lighting Effect Pedal (LEP)

If I had the spare $300, I'd totally pick one up. It could use some DMX connectors on-board, IMHO, but the inventor says he'll be releasing a DMX adapter as an accessory. I perform with an acoustic singer/songwriter who doesn't feel like carrying a full lighting rig around to do the bar/brewery scene from coast to coast, something like this would add to the show and still be able to be carried around in a gig bag. What do you guys think?

Michael Ahern and Ender_rpm like this.
  2. Joebarnes

Joebarnes

Oct 4, 2011
    Surrey, BC
    I could see a use for it for singer songwriter gigs for sure. If there were ways to link other lighting in to it or maybe have more of just the top lighting units run off the one box to keep costs down... now I see some more wide ranging uses for it. Overall though stomp box type technology is something I think would be easy to figure out how to run quickly.

Michael Ahern likes this.
  3. GKon

GKon Supporting Member, Boom-Chicka-Boom

Feb 17, 2013
    Albuquerque, NM
    Very interesting item! I could have used this with my band last year. It would have added a lot to our shows.

4. Ender_rpm

Ender_rpm

Apr 18, 2004
    St. Louis MO
    Very cool. Would be fun to put on top of amps and such too, for a wider stage wash.

5. callofcthulhu

callofcthulhu

Oct 16, 2012
    Sorry, that's about twice as much as it needs to cost to be relevant in my book.

$300 for one little 6 inch light that you can control with your foot? You can get like four or five LED stage lights for that price, including ones that react to sound and strobe, which is as many as you'll need to make a difference on any but the smallest of stages in the darkest of clubs.

All you're really paying for is the foot controller, which can be had for half the cost:

Chauvet Foot-C

Last edited: Dec 29, 2015
    mbelue and Hallic like this.
  6. Ya. Really nifty item but for all of what it does it sure seems expensive.

7. Michael Ahern

Michael Ahern Commercial User

Jan 2, 2016
    Half Moon Bay, CA
    StompLight International, LLC
    Hi guys, Thank you for taking the time to check out our StompLight video. StompLight is a very unique effect pedal, fully integrated with a foot activated controller, powerful Cree lighting array, built in microphone, spectrum analyzer and a microprocessor that allows for user programming. I created StompLight to be a stand alone effect or to be grouped together. I play solo acoustic in bars and private parties. I continued to find myself performing in dimly lit spaces (especially outside at night). I wanted something super easy that could be battery powered for beach party gigs. I also have spent the last 30 years playing in bar bands. With rare exception always crappy overhead lighting. I got tired of loading in, setting up and breaking down Chauvet lighting trees and arguing with band mates over lost footprint. StompLight is SO EASY and when you see photos and video taken of you you'll appreciate what it adds. Yes, it comes with a price. 168 parts total, 2 PCB, Alpha and Carling pots, rolled steel chassis with aluminum control surface, Cree LEDs. Built in the USA to last. little plastic, no cheap Chinese LEDs or switches. Exception on plastic really cool retro Daier Moog Synth Knobs over the pots and custom diffuser lens You show up, set Stompy on the floor and plug it in. I also keep one on my pedal board in my rock band.www.winterlandrocks.com . I run parallel into it out of my volume pedal and use the Instrument Mode and Color Wheel. Really fun. We will be at NAMM in Hall E. Come by and check one out. And HAPPY NEW YEAR - Michael

8. jive1

jive1 Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    All of the shots on the promo video are close ups. I'm curious as the the amount of wash and possible angles from the audience point of view of the stage. I'd also like to see how much of the dance floor those little things could light up.

However, in the end, the angle of lighting is important. IMO, solely using up-lighting doesn't create the most flattering images. Useful for an effect, for drum solos or an eerie flashlight under the chin at the campfire effect, but I'm skeptical at it's effectiveness as a general wash light from the floor. But, the Stomplight certainly looks better than playing in the dark and very easy to haul and set up.

And since the inventor is here.....
    Can it be controlled by other DMX controllers or be used as one? Can they be daisy chained?

9. Michael Ahern

Jan 2, 2016
    Half Moon Bay, CA
    Hi, all good questions. Thank you. I use Stompy all kind of ways since the array angle is adjustable. I keep one on my pedal board where it lights me nicely during my solos and highlights nicely the staging 20 feet across. I use one for my country club talk over patio gig playing in my duo. I use two at Burning Man with StompLight Battery Pack playing acoustic in my camp. My drummer is always lit and the staging looks much better when folks are taking pics using social media. YES..You can daisy chained a second or third Stompy anywhere on stage using anyone as the Master. You can set one up on a stand and sidelight or backlight a drummer with mic mode in operation. His/her playing will trigger a rear stage light show. It works great. Now that we are getting Stompy's into the market place we are asking our buyers to share imagery. We will as well. Included in this post is one such image using two older models with less luminosity. The new Pros are much brighter.

DMX adapter is in the works. This is a great product for small stages, bars, taverns or on the street if you are a busker. For more info on effects and operation and durability go to You Tube and search StompLight NAMM. If you live in the SF Bay Area we have a demo program in place.

Michael Ahern Band 2016.gif

Attached Files:

10. Michael Ahern

Jan 2, 2016
    Half Moon Bay, CA
    Just wanted to let you know we are working on a lower priced model. We will have this model available by summer NAMM in Nashville.

Luke19Boarder likes this.
  11. Michael Ahern

Jan 2, 2016
    Half Moon Bay, CA

Attached Files:

12. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member

It's a cool idea. I agree about the cost-to-coverage ratio concerns; I don't think it can really replace getting a set of LED pars for a lighting wash to cover a stage or a dance floor. I had a moment of thinking I should get each member of my 4-piece band to get one, and then realized that would be $1200 for a footlight on each - not really worth it. But I can see it being useful for an effect light on a solo or breakdown in a song, or a grab-and-go thing for solo gigs, stuff like that. I'll bear it in mind for sometime down the road.

13. Michael Ahern

Jan 2, 2016
    Half Moon Bay, CA
    Be fun to see a four piece band each using one! hrodbert696 Shoot me an email at [email protected] and let's talk about how I can help you make that happen!

14. Zebra

Zebra

Jun 26, 2005
    We talked to Michael for a good long bit at NAMM last weekend. It's a super solid product. Our guitarist is a huge lighting proponent and we work it into our stage show are every opportunity.

We have been doing exactly this for a while now, and we want to move away from it. The home built setup with foot pedals, sound triggering, etc., is a major hassle to setup, lug around, have working properly on stage, etc. The sound triggering on our current lights is not nearly as responsive as we want, and using foot pedals/dongles to trigger our lights is a hassle that detracts from our stage presence. The Stomplight is hugely appealing for its simplicity and autonomy. We likely wouldn't use the Stomplight as our sole lighting, but we want to incorporate it. Many pro lighting items are at a similar price range to the Stomplight anyways. That said, the only reason we haven't bought 3 of them already is upfront cost is steep for us.

15. callofcthulhu

callofcthulhu

Oct 16, 2012
    I'm in San Francisco, where can I get more info about the demo program?

16. mrpackerguy

mrpackerguy Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    Love the innovation for working stiffs.

17. Michael Ahern

Jan 2, 2016
    Half Moon Bay, CA
    Hi Zebra, Nice meeting you at NAMM and thank you for your clear explaination of the value behind StompLight. Please reach out through the website of my card from NAMM and let's figure out how to get 3 Stompys under your feet.

18. Photobassist

Photobassist

Dec 18, 2010
    Japan
    This looks really cool! I'm always playing solo acts in small cafes, wine bars, etc. and this would be perfect to add to the ambiance.

I really like the Darthlight version they have on their website. Alas, I'll probably be holding out until the summer NAMM lower cost version release.

19. awesome idea, too expensive, especially when the public is covering r&d, production, and distribution.

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 14, 2021