1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Lightsnake - Bass to Com USB cable

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by eutgard, May 7, 2006.

1. package.

http://www.soundtech.com/lightsnake/index.asp

AD converter built in instrument cable.

And package includes 1/4” to Dual 1/4” Female Splitter! That means you can connect your bass to amp and computer simultaneously. Nice for monitoring when recording.

I should check this out.

2. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Interesting. It looks to be about $40/street. Not too bad.

And, it comes with demos of quite a few different Sony titles like ACID, Soundforge, etc.

3. Anyone know how well this thing works?

4. lomer

lomer

Mar 20, 2005
    Perth, Australia
    these things look sweet, when someone pulls the trigger let us know how they do.....

5. lomer

lomer

Mar 20, 2005
    Perth, Australia
  6. Rooney

Rooney

Jan 5, 2006
    Kenton, Oh
    The specs say it has a +20db boost. Could you, possibly, fry something in your pc with an active pickup? Would you have to use a passive bass?:confused:

Looks like a great deal though.

7. lomer

lomer

Mar 20, 2005
    Perth, Australia
    I doubt that very much, at worst you'd have a degraded signal I think but I would imagine they would have made this with active basses in mind, seeing as how 50% of basses theses days have either active pickups or preamps.....

8. Rick Julien (SoundTech Forum Administrator) says...

"1M Ohms is the input impedance but it handles a line level input very well. I use it everyday darn near connected to an ST802 and it performs quietly and flawlessly."

Of course, you can always decrease input volume with Windows mixer.

I've ordered it from Music123. But I live in Korea, so I should wait about 2 -3 weeks for delivery :crying:

They are developing 24bit and stereo version now. Is there any detectable difference between 24 bit and 16 bit resolution when you convert analog to digital? CD is 16bit...

9. mrniceguy715

mrniceguy715

May 2, 2006
    oklahoma
  10. lomer

lomer

Mar 20, 2005
    Perth, Australia
    hmm just had a thought and if possible it could provide a very cheap pc interface.... Is it at all possible to plug the audio end of the cable into the main mix output of a mixer and thus gain connection to a pc???

If you can I'm so buying one of these puppies......

11. mrniceguy715

mrniceguy715

May 2, 2006
    oklahoma
    they also sale and xlr to usb

12. mrniceguy715

mrniceguy715

May 2, 2006
    oklahoma
    I bought one friday night. I have not had much time to play with it. Its pretty simple to set up. having probs with guitar rig 2.0. may be the crappy electronics in my bass. but i get a lot f noise

13. No. The cable contains its own analog to digital converter. Basically, the stuff in the cable is what "listens" to your bass, and then it describes it to the computer through the USB port. Rather than getting a plain boosted signal, the computer gets a list of values. The boost will make the numbers it gets higher.

Does anyone know if this is just a basic USB audio device? I'm interested in this, but I'd need it to work under Linux.

14. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    It most likely is. I have an Edirol UA-1A that is pretty much the same thing, except it's a stereo input and probably has a lower input impedance. You may shoot an e-mail to the people who make it and see if they know if it will work in linux.

15. It probably is. I'll have to look into it.

16. mrniceguy715

mrniceguy715

May 2, 2006
    oklahoma
    mine is really noisy esp. in guitar rig 2.0 tried many different configurations

17. Are you connected to your amp as well?

18. mrniceguy715

mrniceguy715

May 2, 2006
    oklahoma
    nope but when I used the y connector I get alot of hum out of my amp

19. I thought that maybe connecting to your amp and your computer was creating the hum. I've done this by plugging into multiple amps.

20. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    They have an XLR -> USB version of this? So, I could run from my pre-amps DI Out, to a USB port... & then just use some freeware recording tool, to save off grooves I'm trying to work with?