Lightwave and Midi Equiped Bass?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Phil Smith, Mar 25, 2002.

1. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    When will we see lightwave pickup equiped bass's that have midi capability?
  2. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    I spoke with Keith at Lightwave Systems. He says that they have offered MIDI for quite some time as an "upgrade". You send them a Lightwave equipped bass, they do the modifications.

It's doubtful you'll ever see these on a production model bass because it's expensive and demand is so low. That's the reason Lightwave doesn't really offer up the whole kit as a regular production item.
  3. Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    Can that system be added to a non-lightwave production bass?
  4. To the best of my own personal knowledge, a bass that doesn't have the lightwave system can still have a midi port on it, but i believe you have to have a piezo bridge on your bass to work it properly.

If i'm wrong, someone please correct, but as far as i know, my above statement should be accurate.
  5. rapido

Aug 9, 2005
    I read allover the net that DR are the best strings on this planet.
    I play slap. Are they best possible strings for slap? I have to know cause i wanted to buy 10 packs from USA.
    1. What is better DR Sunbams or DR Lo-riders???
    I know that Sunbams are Nickel Plated Round Core and Lo-riders are Stainless Steel Hex Core strings. On DR page ( they say that Lo-riders are for slap, pop and tapping. But many people here on Talkbass said that Sunbeams are the best. So I am confused then.
    2. What is better for slap steel or nickel?
    3. What gauges are better for slap 50-110 or 45-105?
  6. Lo end PUNCH

Lo end PUNCH

Jan 28, 2005
    Go to the strings forum. You should get some great responds to your questions there.