lightwave and nylon wound strings???

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Si-bob, Feb 17, 2002.

1. i know the next fretless i get i'm gonna have a lightwave pick-up on it....but on my previous fretless's i'v always opted for nylon wound strings (the black ones), does anyone know how these sound when combined with a lightwave pickup???

2. anyone?.........please.....?

3. Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Well, I've never actually tried one, but here goes the physics:
    The LW doesn't care what materials your strings are made of. What does matter is
    - the usual tension/mass
    - the usual length
    - the not so usual surface structure

The black tape smoothens the string surface, and will hence yield less overtones than a roundwound. An ideally smooth/flat surface would yield only the fundamental and harmonic overtones. While a string full of ridges, randomly placed, would be rather unmusical to listen to....

Regarding the actual tone of available strings, I hope someone turns up to answer.
  4. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    I'm interetsed to know more about lightwave p/ups too.
    I dont currently play fretless, but my next bass will be.. and from what I've read about lightwave it sounds interesting?

Anyone out there who can tell me just what lightwave pickups are like to play?
  5. Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Try PM to fhodshon and or Dann Glenn.
    Both Fred and Dann have them. I believe there are one or two more...
  6. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    Hey guys.

I was having a small, but easily corrected problem with my Lightwave equipped Zon, and I have to commend Lightwave Systems for having prompt and concerned customer service. If you invest in a Lightwave equipped instrument, you shouldn't have to worry about technical support. they seem to be really taking care of those who take the leap into a new technology like this one. Makes me feel warm and fuzzy...

To the question at hand, I haven't tried black tapewounds with the Lightwave, but I did have the Thomastick- Nylon-core ABG strings on it for a while and it sounded great. It really sounds like the strings. I also tried the Thomastick Jazz Flats, and although they sounded good, I think I had a dead E string. Ah well.