Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

lightwave basses

Discussion in 'Ask Steve Lawson & Michael Manring' started by basssax, Oct 15, 2003.

1. basssax

basssax

Oct 14, 2003
    Washington,D.C.
    Dear Michael, I am having one of the "Lightwave" classica series sent to me. Any advice on these different animals would be helpful.
    Thanks,
    Scott

2. Michael Manring

Michael Manring TalkBass Pro Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Hi Scott,

The Lightwave system is very cool and I’m sure you’ll have fun with it. In my experience the Lightwave has an unusual sound that I wouldn’t want to use for everything, but in the right situation it’s gorgeous. I used my Lightwave bass for a track on an upcoming singer-songwriter CD last month and I really liked how it sat in the track. The optical pickups reproduce a massive amount of low end -- I’m surprised the reggae guys haven’t latched on to them -- and the sound tends to have a woolly, acoustic character. You have to adapt your technique a bit, since the sound is being picked up at the bridge, but I’m sure you’ll figure that out in your own experimenting with it. Please let us know your thoughts after you’ve had a chance to work with the bass a little.

3. basssax

basssax

Oct 14, 2003
    Washington,D.C.
    Thank you both the time and the answer.
    Well. I got the lightwave today, and spent three hours setting it up. My head is spinning around.
    I am afraid I thought it would be appropriate for commercial gigs with the opening pop slap motif on their web site. That is 50/50 what I do on my job. Fingerstyle and slap.
    I don't know what to do to get a slap sound. I guess I will go to a set of 35 gauge(g) to start, maybe that will get the treble part of the sound.
    Who is that guy on their website and is he really playing a lightwave? Please Michael, anyone, how did he get that sound? Strings? Recorded into the board?
    I have tried it with my 3 amps(Eden SWR, Behringer) and my CT2000 tech cabs, and I am at a loss.
    Thank you,
    Scott

4. Michael Manring

Michael Manring TalkBass Pro Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Scott,

My guess is that's Ray Riendeau playing on the intro to the Lightwave site. It sounds to me like roundwound strings, DI into the board with a healthy dose of the Piezo signal mixed in, but no effects or tricks. The brightness in the Lightwave system really comes from the Piezos so if the sound is dull, perhaps that's the problem? Good luck.

5. basssax

basssax

Oct 14, 2003
    Washington,D.C.
    Michael, this is just a finish up, so read if you can, no reply necessary. Went to Rockville guitar center, asked for rubber-coated or rubber strings, smallest gauge they had. They had zip BUT Jaime suggested I use the top four from a six string Daddario XL set(32 top string). IT WORKS great!
    Much more balance and set up needed, but the sweetest acoustic sound with small string ease now. Putting emotion into this bass is easy now.