1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Lightwave Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by heath_the_great, Apr 14, 2006.

1. ive seen the ad's of these basses and had a quick look at the website, and im pretty tempted by the looks of them, i had a quick listen to the ray riendeau sound samples and well, not liking the examples they have a kinda kubicki tonal quality:ninja:
    [​IMG]

so how do they actually feel, neck wise? are they comfortable?..would they suit a funk/rock/hip hop sorta vibe?(tonally)....also, does anyone know where can i get some more sound samples, preferably in a band setting?

2. I found the sound of My Classica very hard to control live.These basses have a VERY unique voice and,IMHO it's very hard to know were to place what sound in a band setting.The neck was slim and quite fast and I thought it to be a very well made bass.Some advice,play one hands on before You pull the trigger, make sure it is for You.

3. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    I checked them out at NAMM and while the bass felt really good - I dunno about the new technology... didn't respond the way a normal bass does, and it didn't inspire me at all. I think you need to have a really soft touch when you play (which I don't) and, I don't know... I just didn't like them. Felt weird. Check one out for yourself though cuz this is just my take on it.

4. smperry

smperry Administrator Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    IMO, Lightwave technology shines on fretless basses. Fretted, it's ok, just not as great. I think it would work in funk/hiphop/rock setting, especially as an additional bass. Worth checking out, but not for everyone.

I wasn't that impressed with the build quality of the ebay demo I got years ago, but can't comment on the current batch.

Marshall

5. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    You just simply may have not cared for Ray's tone.the fretted Lightwave basses can be funky if tonally set right.I own a Fretless Lightwave Sabre(there are some fretless soundbites on their site from Tim Launders) and I have been very happy with it.The Lightwave basses believe it or not can dial in some serious low end and sizzling highs and pretty much anywhere in between if you like.The one thing you will notice when you play one is that it will magnify all the little nuances of your playing and for some that could be a good thing or a bad thing.It's no different than any Bass when played in a band setting(and they balance great,neck dive does not exist with this Bass and they are very light)you just have to take your time and get a basic tonal setting in the band setting and take it from there.As far as versatile I think they can handle most musical setting with no problem at all it justs goes back to the quality of the tones that you're shooting for and knowing how to get them out while working in conjunction with the amp that you're using.The necks on the 4 and 5 string Sabre are not chunky at all and they are fast,the neck on the 5 string is slimmer and not as wide or thick as a MM Stingray 5,to me the Lightwave 5 has a very comfortable neck(one of the better feeling and playing 5 string necks out there and I have small hands)they also have a couple of new Bass models coming out.the best thing you can do is check it out for your self and like any Bass it may or may not be for you.the E-bay demo's where just that and some were prototypes but the E-bay demos that were being offered from the later part of 05(about Sept) to the early part of 06 with the finishes were much better than the earlier E-bay offered demos.

6. i had a listen to the fretless samples and i rather liked them...im going for a fretted though....

actually playing one is easier said than done, these arent sold in australia, well i havent seen or heard of any except from bass player mag...

jauqo, can you dial in a real phat hip hop tone that still has plenty of definition?...thats the main thing im after, just a real phat sorta tone with plenty of definiton.....

also, when you really dig in fingerstyle does it still give you that clunky sorta woody tone?

7. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Because of the ability to dial in so much clear low end there would be no problem obtaining a hip hop thickness,you can even hand mute the strings and add a killer staccato funkiness to it.as far as that woody clankiness that you speak of,that's obtainable as well but that comes down to how you have the Bass set up(how low you prefer your action etc.)and your applied technique in regards to what you're going for.really any technique that you apply on a P Bass,JBass,MM etc can definitely be applied on the Lightwave as well.

and in case you didn't know,the version's of the Lightwave Bass with the sound hole in them really aren't a semi hollow body Bass at all,it's just a one piece cut out and other than it's cosmetic aspect the Basses are solid body.

8. thanks jauqo, i got your pm too, thanks again........this is probably gonna sound like a stupid question, but do factors like string deadness or flatwound/roundwound strings make a tonal difference?...

im so damn tempted now...im thinking a saber B 4 string fretted, possibly 5....

so jauqo, if i buy one think you can set me up with an endorsement:D :p :ninja: i joke i joke i kid i kid:D

9. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.

You're more than welcome.and yes dead,flatwounds and roundround strings do make a difference in your Tonal output.

As far as endorsements go(with any company)time will tell.

10. i have a fretted one. It has some serious low end, and its VERY light. I used it once when I was in my rock band. It didn't sound right when played fingerstyle, so I used a pick and it gave me a very nice rock sound. Sometimes I wish it was fretless though. And I put some stainless steel strings which to me didn't sound very good with the tonality of the bass.

11. so jauqo (how do you pronounce your name anyway?:ninja: ), you've seen a video of my playing (playing the sissor sisters song) do you think a lightwave may be a good investment?..if thats any kind of question....

also, ive seen pictures of light waves that have magnetic pickups as well as the bridge/light thingy ones as well...what happened to them?

heres a pic of my current rig (hey, another excuse to show it off :D )
    Image017.

also jauqo, i just looked at your website, glad to see im not the only crazy one using light picks :D ...although i use dunlops .50s

12. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.

Stainless steel strings with the Lightwave's Ice Tone(piezo blend)setting set too high while the Cool/Warm tilt switch is in the Cool setting can add major brightness to the bass(especially if the fb is Maple).

13. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    My name rhymes with Rocco.I think that if you're interested in checking out a Lightwave Bass please give it some serious thought and if you do get one and for what ever reason you may not like it,at least you will have gained first hand knowledge and experience as to what this bass can bring to the table for you and your needs(for me it's not a bad tool to have access too).Lightwave is currently working on a new model that will be incorporating the LW Optical system as well as their own Magnetic pickup.

and yes I use Dunlop nylon .38whites

for those who may be interested all of the NEW Saber SE Models with the bookmatched tops feature chambered bodies.even the models that do not have a sound hole are chambered That contributes to the light weight, and makes the response livelier.

and the Bass pictured at the beginning of this thread is the latest model called the SEC it's a solidbody Bass(it's not chambered) It does not have the exotic top wood, and has an oil finish, so it is available at a lower price.

14. I would love an Ashbory style bass with a Lightwave system. That would get those silicone strings booming. That and a 35" scale five string with a nice ebony fingerboard and Thomastic nylon core strings. I love the non magnetic strings, but I hate the sound of the piezo pickups normaly used to get a signal off of them.

15. thanks again jauqo..i just checked my email and i had one from chris :) ..talk about service and i dont even have one yet :D ..but if customer service is going to be like that i think im sold...

the sec looks like nice think, simplistic yet classy, although i wouldnt pass up the chance to get a Sabre B in Amber with the flame top :D

16. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    You're more than welcome and Chris is pretty Kool.

17. jauqo, sorry ta bug ya again, ill let ya get on with ya life soon:D

but....whats the main differences between the Classica's and the Sabers?..is it just the body stye? are the necks different?
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    i was immediately attracted to the saber, but the looks of the classica are becoming more appealing...but still, saber

18. uglybassplayer

uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
    I'm pretty sure that the Classica has a 35" scale length (at least on the 5 string models). Other than that and the body shape, they should be very similar. I have a newer 2005 model Saber SA-5 fretless that I purchased a little less than a year ago. It's amazingly light since there are no pickups and the bridge itself is made of a graphite like material. I have a bit of a love-hate relationship with mine, mostly because of the design of the bridge itself. First off I can't seem to get the action as low as I'd like because the optical sensors can only be lowered so much and if the string is perfectly centered between them, the volume for that string drops out. Also you can't adjust the string height without loosening the strings to the point where you have to lift them off the saddle so you can get a screwdriver underneath. I love the tone but you need use judgement when dialing in the piezo... it pickups up and amplifies taps, finger noise, rubs, etc. anywhere along the entire length of the bass.

It may sound like I have major gripes with it, but I really don't. It just has a very unique personality and you have to be willing to adjust to that... If you do, the rewards can be great!

BTW, major props to JAUQO. He was most helpful when I first purchased mine... Thanks man :cool:

Here's the obligatory pic of mine...
    [​IMG]

- Frank.

19. warning: i am drunk and about to go clubbing

thats cool it picks up all the extrea noise...i like adding all percussive stuff whenever im playing...i have a sorta light touch when playing but i do like to beat my intruments to bring the most out of them.....will they take a hendrix like beating? i like to do the whole playing behind my head and swing the thing around kinda thing

ill be getting frtetted definately, frtless aint my thing unless its upright...4 string most liekly, and by the sound of it it may be my main with rounds and i may put flats on my jazz..

cant you adjus tthe induvidual string gain on the mainboard in the back...i mean, ive only glanced at the manual..havent actually had the instrument to look at

20. Franklin229

Franklin229

Jul 25, 2004
    Northeast USA
    Fretless Lightwaves also sound great with nylon core or similar strings-Although nothing sounds quite like an upright, this combo comes closest for me-