Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Lightwave owners, your assistance is requested

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MrFortuneCookie, Jan 2, 2002.

1. I am considering getting a lightwave bass. Lighwave systems now sells lightwave equipped basses. They want $1600 for a fretted 5 string and for a bit extra, i can try it out so that if i don't like it, i can return it for a full refund. What do you guys think? Is it worth it? Do you like your lightwave basses? How often do you use them? All opinions and views welcome.

2. From the discussions I've had with some Lightwave users, the new system seems pretty sweet. They say the mag emulation is pretty good, and the lightwave system just lets them get the sounds they're after. I'm thinking about having a Zon Lightwave built to be my main bass, but I'm not 100% set on it yet.

I'm definitely interested in hearing from some others that have had some significant time on a lightwave bass as well.

3. I love my 5 string Zon fretless Lightwave. IMO, they make an outstanding fretless. Mine has the upgraded circuit board, "Mag Emulator" and sweepable mid control. It's one of the most expressive fretless tones I've played. I have not tried LW fretted, so I can't comment.

If you have any specific questions, please ask!

Here's mine:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Jeff

4. Two questions. Does the wood of the bass make a difference in sound? And the mag emulator, is it always on, or can it be turned off?

5. Depends on the thickness of the top wood, I'm told. Anything less than 1/4" should not make any difference, although others might disagree.

The Mag Emulator can be turned off. Mine is off most of the time.

Jeff

6. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    does marcus miller play a lightwave?

if not, sounds evil to me.

jimmy swaggart told me so.

f

7. well, word from Gard over at BC is that Joe will indeed do a lightwave 6. Now I have to decide on options so I can get a price quote. I'm really hoping for a redwood burl top but don't know if it's a possibility. I'd say my next choice after that would be goncalo alves.

Now I just have to pick options and raise the funds. I'll let you all know what I think many months from now :)