Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Lightwave pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by geshel, Nov 23, 2001.

1. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Calling all Lightwave owners (and people who've played a bass with one): So what do they sound like? :) Details, please.

2. depends on the strings/technique/settings that you use. i played a zon lightwave sonus today and it sounded awesome. i was even able to make it sound quasi-warm.

3. I've owned a Zon Sonus Lightwave fretless for over a year. My experience is that the Light Wave PUs are great on a fretless bass. I sold my Sonus Custom w/piezo when I got the Sonus LW. Since then, I have upgraded the electronics on the LW to the latest version that include a sweepable mid control and a "Mag Emulator" which boosts some of the high frequencies.

They do have a unique sound. More expressive than the Custom I owned. Tremendous "mwah". The mids and highs are very articulate and sustain for days. The low end has a different tonality than I am used to with magnetic systems - not bad, just different. Not as punchy and more of an
    acoustic vibe, IMHO...

Although others may disagree, but my experience is that the lightwave always sounds nice, but not always "right" for every situation I have wanted to use a fretless. There are times I want more of a traditional fretless tone. As a result, I am getting a Sadowsky fretless. Should have the best of both designs.

I have not played a LW fretted bass.

Jeff

4. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Thanks guys. Voodoo - that's true, I guess I was thinking just normal roundwonds for now. Could you define "awesome"? :).

Jeff - sounds like more thump and less growl on the low end? I'm looking for a fretless with a nice deep scary growl to it.

5. Humm... I wouldn't say that the LW has no growl. To me, growl on a fretless is more a function of string height and how one digs into the strings. My strings are set very low and I get a good growly tone.

I had the chance last weekend to play both my Zon LW and a friend's new Sadowsky fretless. His Sadowsky has single coil pups and a poly coated board. The Sadowsky was much more "fat" and had slightly more definition in the lower registers. The Zon was more expressive in the mids and high end. The Sadowsky was punchier while the Zon was softer. Both do what they do wonderfully.

Jeff

6. the zon that i was playing was a fretted so i can't comment on the mwah. my definition of awesome is the tone that i hear in my head. it's kinda a bright thump like that of victor wooten on classical thump. i'm not really sure what kinda strings were on it because i'm not much of a string guy but it still sounded good to me.