Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

lightwave pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Dave Metts, Dec 28, 2001.

1. Anyone that has experience with these, I request your comments.

Also, are they available for 6-string basses? I've only seen them on 4 and 5 stringers.

2. Festus

Festus

Dec 12, 2001
    London, England.
    I would like to know the same information. I see adverts in Bassplayer magazine and I am very curious.

3. Now that they have the new S2 Omnibridge, they are available for 6's.

4. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    So why don't they have any stinkin' sound samples on their website? Other than the Flash leadin, which is distorted and sounds horrible. Are they trying to hike up the "mystery" factor? I've heard good things from people who've played them, otherwise I'd really be skeptical of the hype.

5. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    I don't know yet, myself. But Fred Hodshon, fellow TBer loves'em and so does Dann Glenn. As none of them has answered, I guess you could try to send them a personal Q.

6. I posted a (big) bit on my experience with the LW pickup's sound in the Zon thread...

To sum up 6 months' work on the thing: it's much more responsive across all frequencies than I was used to, and I had to change my technique, EQ, and may eventually change my rig, to suit it.

But because it gives you a broader palette to start, you can get a lot more out of it in the end. You just may have to re-think your routine of getting a good sound, both with your fingers and with your EQ. It's really that different. I think it's better. YMMV.
    Go take one for a drive if you can. Vary your right hand technique and listen to it respond. Now do that with your left, especially with a fretless. Then start tweaking around the EQ. It'll take a while. Make friends with the store-owner. Maybe buy him/her a beer...

7. I've never played a bass equiped with them, so I asked the same question at www.basslinks.nl and
    Dann Glenn himself answered me. Check it out for yourself. It's in the pickup section. (obviously) ;)

Mike J.