Lightwave question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jelloyacket, Apr 12, 2005.

1. jelloyacket

jelloyacket bass > guitar

Jun 14, 2002
    McMurray, PA
    I've got a lead on a used Lightwave Sabre, and I was wondering how I tell if it's an eBay demo run, or one of the newer production models. Any suggestions? Thanks.

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    What is the price on it and can you get good close up pics of it.I have be to the co. headquarters in Ohio and for a little over a year I have been playing the newer non E-bay models.
  3. jelloyacket

Jun 14, 2002
    McMurray, PA
    Price is $450, with the usual accessories (gig bag, charger, and manual). Any particular portion of it to examine? I couldn't find a serial number on it. A chip inside the control cavity said "Lightwave Systems 2000" on it.

If it were to be an eBay one, is that necessarily a bad thing? If it plays well and the clearances look plenty tight on the neck joint, what else should I be wary of?
  4. mheintz

Nov 18, 2004
    I believe that you can tell by looking at the logo on the headstock. If it has pearl inlay, it is a new model.
  5. jelloyacket

Jun 14, 2002
    McMurray, PA
  6. mheintz

Nov 18, 2004
    More thoughts... I believe that if it has a top, i.e. myrtle, walnut, flame, quilted, colored finish etc... then it is not a demo. Or if it has an ebony fingerboard then it is not a demo model. The folks at lightwave indicated that the demo models did not have graphite reinforcement in the neck and hence, had some warping and bowing problems. The bowing is something that may occur on some instruments and not on others, or may occur over time. The knobs are also placed in a different position, but without a side-by-side comparison, it would be hard to tell. The knobs on the demo supposedly got in the way of the right hand. I believe that the angle of the headstock tilt is also greater on the non-demo models, but I'm not sure.

There are supposedly other non-visible differences, but you would have to call lightwave. (Call, don't email, and you will probably get a response.)
  7. jelloyacket

Jun 14, 2002
    McMurray, PA
    I think I'm going to go take some pictures of it and post them, if possible. The store is a good 30-35 minutes away, though, so I'm trying to avoid going there more than I have to.
  8. artistanbul

artistanbul Nihavend Longa Vita Brevis

Apr 15, 2003
    some demo models supported ebony fingerboards too.
    and some had flame and quilt tops.

very probably its an older demo model.

Man I am dying to get my hands on one of these axes.
  9. jelloyacket

Jun 14, 2002
    McMurray, PA
    Well, here's what the bass is. The fingerboard is maple. It doesn't have an exotic wood top. There is a strip of a dark wood through the middle of the body. I don't remember if the logo had a pearloid inlay or not. I couldn't find a serial number anywhere on it, including in the control cavity. Came with gig bag, manual, and charger.
  10. mheintz

Nov 18, 2004
    Maple fingerboard, eh? artistanbul is right; there were a few demos made with ebony boards. In fact I saw one on ebay for sale today (current bid $400, buy now $550). But most of the ones with maple boards that I have seen for resale are demo runs. I know that the non-demo runs have graphtech nuts, and I have seen demo runs with brass nuts, but I can't generalize.

The strip of dark wood just sounds strange. I haven't seen anything like it. My guess is that the bass is an odd demo run. For $450? Hmmm... I might check around a bit more or bargain with the store. If it is a demo run and the neck bows, it will cost you more money than its worth to replace the neck because the neck pocket isn't standard. That being said, I've seen a lightwave or two on talkbass that went for a good price.

I like my Lightwave. Nice bass, although not for everybody. Strangely, I haven't noticed too many of the 2004/05 models on the secondary market. Maybe people like them enough to keep those around.
  11. jongor

jongor Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2003
    Any new or updated info on these? Still have yours?

Any sound clips yet?

What's wrong with the demo models anyway?
  12. mheintz

Nov 18, 2004
    Updated info? I don't know. The Lightwave ebay store appears to be liquidating the stock of 2005 basses. They keep dropping the prices. Discounts are nice for new buyers, but they are unwelcome for older buyers. Perhaps, the discounts are one of the reasons that there are so few on the secondary market. There are enough buyers now that I would bet you'll see more on the secondary market for cheap. (I'll probably slap mine into the ground before I sell, just so I get my moneys worth.)

See posts above regarding knob placement, lack of neck support, different woods, and possibly different electronics. I haven't played a demo model, so I don't know about the sound. So if there are no build problems and you like the sound, a demo may be the way to go. Some people seem to like the demo models. Supposedly, they were not of the same quality as the more recent models. Take this with a grain of salt, but an individual at Lightwave Music said that they did not want the demo models to be their first offering and hence, they redesigned the basses.

I highly recommend that you try before you buy.

I guess that the one benefit of buying from the Lightwave store on ebay is that the seller is responsive. I wrote to him with a question about a neck and he replied promptly. That's worth something.
  13. uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
    If you're talking about the ebay seller "lightwave2004", I believe that is Lightwave Music's ebay seller ID, so you're dealing directly with the manufacturer.

Last July, Lightwave was selling the 2004's at $1030 for a 4 string, $1130 for a fiver. From there additional features like lined fretless, ebony fingerboard, quilted or flamed top added a few hundred to the price.

Today, they're selling the 4-string Classicas for as little as $670 (black), and the 4-string Sabers for $845

I just scored an (almost) new 2004 Saber 5-string Fretless (amber quilted top w/ ebony fingerboard) off ebay for less than $600 from someone who only just purchased his directly from Lightwave in April. With all of it's added features, it would have cost me $1530 last July.