1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

LIGHTWAVE SPACE BASS!!!! Tune is revived!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MoonDoggy, Oct 7, 2009.

1. MoonDoggy

MoonDoggy Registered Loser Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2005
    Altoona, PA
    I've been in pursuit of a Tune Space Bass for nearly a decade and have had zero luck. I foolishly let a black-red burst 5 string slip thru my fingers years ago, but that's as close as I've come.

I've also seen a Pendragon Banshee trans green 4 string and a spalted top 5 string, but I missed out on those as well.

Now I find this!:

http://www.lightwave-systems.com/products/spacebass_bass_guitar.php

Does anybody know the story on these? I'm fairly certain Tune stopped making the Space Bass years ago, but did Lightwave steal the shape AND the name, or did they buy the rights to it? Someone please give me some more info on this!

And they're making a 6 string! Tune never made a 6 in their Space Bass from what I understand. It's just a bummer that Lightwave's 6 string will be 35" scale and 17mm spacing! But they did add some sort of black plastic protector since the edge of the fretboard now becomes the main thumb rest!

Here's Lightwave System's Space Bass:

Lightwave5SpaceBass.

And here's Tune's Space Bass:

TuneTSSpaceBass36in5.

2. kjpollo

kjpollo

Mar 17, 2008
    CT
    I have no direct knowledge about this but the copy is SO exact I would think Lightwave bought the design from Tune.

Another possibility-They could both be part of the same corporate family.

3. dannnnn

dannnnn

Nov 14, 2007
    Beaufort, SC
    "The Elusive SpaceBass
    The first Custom Shop instrument is the highly sought-after SpaceBass. The SpaceBass is the brain-child of two legendary luthiers, Chris Willcox, founder of LightWave and Hatsukazu Fujitani, founder of TUNE Guitar Technology of Japan."

...from the webpage.

4. MoonDoggy

Dec 15, 2005
    Altoona, PA
    I just got off the phone w/ Lightwave, and they're working w/ the gentleman that designed the original Space Bass, so it's all legit. And apparently there were only a handful of Tune Space Basses made.

The Lightwaves however, are going to be made completely here in America and all the woodworking will be done by a renowned luthier in CA. (I'm not sure if he wants his name revealed, so I won't spill the beans!)

The rest of the specs can be found on their website. The pics of the Space Bass 5 string show 36 frets like the original Tunes. They will most likely have 31 frets. They also will not be 36" scale, which is monstrously huge! They will be 34" for the 4 strings, 35" for the 5 & 6 strings, and possibly an option to get different scales (like 34" on the 6 string). Lastly, the adjustable thumb ramp will most likely not be on the production models. It may be an option, but the best option is to learn to float your thumb or anchor on the low B.

5. MoonDoggy

Dec 15, 2005
    Altoona, PA
  6. You mean Mark Garza of Garz Guitars? Says that right on the webpage that you linked in your original post.

7. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Ya know, if you read the web page, it makes it all pretty clear... There's nothing fishy going on - just one company picking up where another left off...

That said, I'm highly dubious if this is a "great" sounding bass. I've played several lightwave basses, and the only application I could hear was fretless, where it gives a sound that is strangely upright-like... (and so very cool) but fretted? It sounded just DEAD...

Of course, this bass may be very different... but I'd prefer some standard p'ups myself.

8. Dan B

Dan B

Oct 19, 2008
    Pittsfield, MA
    Rather dumb question; did Tune go out of business? I remember hearing from someone that they did but I wasn't sure.

9. MoonDoggy

Dec 15, 2005
    Altoona, PA
    I guess reading does help! I just got so crazed that the Space Bass is now attainable, I freaked! It's a happy feeling to find out that something you've been GASsing for for about a decade can finally be had (in slightly different form)!

10. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    What would you have done if LW really did steal it from Tune? :)

LW and Tune have a long history together.

It's not a secret who the custom shop builder is.

11. The LightWave I had was disapointing to say the least. Maybe they've improved the system over the past few years. I had to adjust the individual volume pots everytime I played mine :( The saddle hight adjustment was also a nightmare. I really like the Space Bass, I hope they have success with it.

12. Didn't Jackson have a bass called something like the Anti-gravity Bass that looked almost exactly like this and featured the LW pickup?

13. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    I had a Lightwave prototype. I like the sound and playablity, but finding that sound was a trip. Controls were a bit bizarre.