Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

LightWave System

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jbabs688, Apr 26, 2005.

1. jbabs688

jbabs688

Apr 21, 2005
    I want to get this LightWave System for my bass. It seems pretty cool... does anyone know where i can buy it (other than of the manufacture's webpage)? or does anyone have a system that they want to sell?

2. Feel stupid, but this is how you learn. What is a Lightwave system? Havent ever heard of that.
    Cheers,
    Dave

Never mind, i Googled it and foudn it. Looks like soemthing that would be expensive...but i have no idea.

3. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    Can't help with the Lightwave system, but I'm sure someone will soon, I will mention that posting the same thing in multiple forums here is a no-no. You will likely find more people here in basses who have experience using lightwaves, but the Luthier's forum would likely have one or two people who have installed them before. From what I've seen, it is very router intesive as the hardware is rather extensive. So a LOT of the body needs to be cleared out to give you the space to fit it in.

4. AceOfBass27

AceOfBass27

Apr 9, 2005
    I've been a Lightwave player for about a year now, and all I can say is go for it. Right now the manufacturer would probably be the best bet, and they sell them direct for about $1500. You might also wanna check ebay, cuz the demo models are about $300 - $500. The basses actually play pretty smoothly and sound FANTASTIC. Mine, unfortunately, has a glossy neck, something I plan on fixing in the next few months. Just one word of advice: I hope your technique is pretty polished, cuz this bass will highlight ANY flaws. The sustain is UNMATCHED, though, and harmonics JUMP from the neck. If you get one (and i highly suggest you do) enjoy. They're a blast to play.

5. Aerolithe

Aerolithe

Jan 23, 2005
    Columbia, MO
    I looked into using them for building myself a bass. You can't get them from anyone but the manufacturer to my knowledge and you can only buy them if you are a builder, othewise you need to buy a bass that already has them. However, they don't seem to limit them to brand-name builders, so if you are building a bass (or intend to and cancel the project ;) ) you should be fine, although modifying a bass to use these could be a pain. The price for the whole system is around $400 I think.

6. jbabs688

jbabs688

Apr 21, 2005
    Yeah i figured the system would be awesome to have. how is it on the low mids, does it have a nice "rich" sound?

7. AceOfBass27

AceOfBass27

Apr 9, 2005
    I don't think I've ever heard a bass so rich and diverse. It has a switch to go from a more passive tone to a more active one, so if you really wanna dig some low mids out of it, go passive with a big heaping spoonful of piezo! Oh, and if you play fretless, the growl is so deep and meaty that it'll cut through any mix.

8. 4string4ever

4string4ever Guest

Apr 18, 2004
    Orlando, Florida
    I just happen to have a Lightwave system that is not attached to a bass. Actually I'm not in posession of it at the moment, but I own it and it will be back in my hands perhaps in a couple of weeks or so. PM if you're interested.

9. jbabs688

jbabs688

Apr 21, 2005

thats exactly what i am looking for.. :hyper: :hyper: