Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Lightwave Zon Sonus UPDATE

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by frederic b. hodshon, Mar 1, 2001.

1. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    here's what i posted to alt.guitar.bass

hiya,

got my Zon Sonus Lightwave back today.

new features include, later rev board with sweepable MID replacing the fixed
    high gain and a MAG Emulator module.

i was extremely happy with the bass before the upgrade, but now...there's
    immense tonal flexibilty.

not sure if its me, but the ICETONE sounds much more musical now. before,
    i'd only use a touch if any at all, now I CRANK IT!!!

not sure what the mid sweep range is, but with the trim pot fully clockwise
    and with 3/4 gain, i get PERFECT HAIR!!!!

THEN, with the MAG Emulator (which is a pull up of the mid boost pot)
    there's increased "clarity" or "presence"....Jaco lines sound AMAZING!

glad to have my baby back...with all this fuss over rehashing my Fender and
    trying the Carvin AC, i've come home.

Zon necks....YOWZA!!!!! have to agree with PD on this one...SUPER low action
    with no rattle or buzz, even when digging in.

for those interested in a Lightwave ZON, talk to Joe about the MID SWEEP and
    the MAG EMULATOR!!!!!

WORTH IT!!!!!!

[​IMG]

fred

2. red_rhino

red_rhino Gold Supporting Member

Congratulations on getting your baby back! :) Does this put your virtual bass building project on hold? (Hope not.)

-Red

3. frederic b. hodshon

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    the virtual bass project is moving forward. going to an exotic wood supplier this weekend to pick out some top woods.

i have all my drawings finished, need to order the electronics and WHOOOOOOOOMP!!!!!!!!!

fred

4. noise

noise Guest

Oct 23, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    Argh! That thing is freaking BEAUTIFUL! I want one.

I've heard it said that the Lightwave pups have a hard time with really punchy sounds. Does the MAG Emulator (I assume this is a magnetic pickup emulator) add punch?

--noise

5. one word: BEAUTIFUL!! :D

what does a bass like this cost?! :eek:

$4.000 - 5.000?

6. frederic b. hodshon

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    noise said:

I've heard it said that the Lightwave pups have a hard time with really punchy sounds. Does the MAG Emulator (I assume this is a magnetic pickup emulator) add punch?

response:

i've heard the same about the Lightwaves...but, i tend to disagree...loads of punch, especially in rockin' settings. the mag emulator tends to brighten things up a bit, more distinct....hard to describe....i love it....i'll post audio samples soon.

The_Bass said:

what does a bass like this cost?!

$4.000 - 5.000?

response: nope!!!!!!! i paid $2600 for mine, even with the quilt headstock cap!!!

[​IMG]

7. Congrats, Fred!

You gotta get some sound files on your site!

I'm thinking about getting the mod done on my Lightwave as well. Just want to hear more about how you like it.

Jeff

8. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Does that look snappy! I mean the way you descriibe the sound change. Well, sure, the bass as well, but I knew this one since some time.
    But what exactly does "MAG Emulator" mean?
    I've been trying to find out more about those optional daughter boards that LightWave are supposed to make, but found naught. Any info, anybody?

9. Contact the folks at Lightwave. They were very helpful in answering my questions.

Jeff

10. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    (sing songy) I'm gonna get my Zon Lighwave tomorrow! Bocate top, from Ed at Gelb.I suppose I'll need to inquire if this is the current expandable board and get the goodies to go with it. Alternate between Thomastick nylon cores and Jazz flats and pow, upright tone to go!

Sorry guys, just really excited to be playing fretless again, I miss it. Will post pic soon, you gotta see this top!

<HHOOOOWWWLLLL> Yip Yip!

11. frederic b. hodshon

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    coyoteboy:

the configuration i currently have is a beta unit.

next generation product from Lightwave won't be fully available until mid year 2001. this will also include the monolithic bridge system.

you may want to wait.

fred

12. red_rhino

red_rhino Gold Supporting Member

I KNEW there was a reason I hadn't been to Gelb's lately. Some instinct was telling me they'd have a Lightwave in stock and I would be forced to buy it. ;) However, I am headed up there tomorrow. Better get there before I do. ;) ;) ;) ;)

-Red