Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by K Dubbs, Feb 6, 2003.

1. K Dubbs

K Dubbs Just graduated from OSU, Go Bucks!

Mar 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    I am fortunate enough to live in Columbus, Ohio. Why? Because apparently lightwave systems' headquarters is in this city. A local guitar shop got 3 prototype lightwave basses in, 2 solid body designs and a semi-hollowbody. Apparently these are the first lightwave basses to be sold in a retail shop anywhere in the country.

Anyway, to the point.

I tried all three. Since all three were a bit different design, they all felt and sounded a bit different (sound because of the piezo).

1. Response is lightning quick.
    2. Playability is very very good. Easy playing necks.
    3. Very hard tone. Its just very solid bass frequency output.
    4. Lightweight
    5. Lots of tonal flexability, especially on the semihollow, due to the piezo option
    6. Dynamic range. These things pick up everything from the lightest touch to really digging in, with corresponding tonal characteristics.
    7. Pricepoint! 900 dollars for either of the two solidbody basses. 900 dollars!!! To add the lightwave option to a conklin bass is 700 bucks alone! (if I remember correctly)
  2. Sounds like trouble! :D

If they make a nice 6-string fretless available, I may be picking one up (sooner rather than later).

One quick question: What is the neck profile like? I really prefer a thinner neck (Zon, F Bass, etc.).

Anyway, thanks for the report!
  3. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Those guys are great. I'm digging their basses too.
  4. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    If you retrofit a Squier P-bass with one, I'm sure it wouldn't cost more than $900.
  5. oddentity

oddentity Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Lightwave REALLY needs to update their website. There is no mention of their bass line at all.
  6. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    There is no retrofit option for the Lightwave. Only availble to custom builders. If you've seen the amount of routing required, you'd understand.
  7. K Dubbs

K Dubbs Just graduated from OSU, Go Bucks!

Mar 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    the neck profile seemed on the slimmer side to me, but then again i'm used to my fbb, which has a somewhat more beefy neck
  8. Zon Bass

Zon Bass

Jan 20, 2002
    Dallas, TX
    I want pictures. Things like this don't exist w/o pictures.
  9. I wouldn't be so sure.

10. mikgag

mikgag Guest

Mar 25, 2002
    We're putting one in a custom we're building for a fellow Talkbasser. It's............interesting:D
  11. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    From the website:
    "Can I retrofit an existing instrument?

Not yet. Currently, our system is available only to instrument builders and guitar manufacturers. Call your local dealer or favorite builder to try the system."

Although, I don't think it's difficult to get them to sell you the system if you sound like you know what you are doing. I know Lisa Weiss' husband got a set for her bass he is building/built.

Still, I don't know why you'd go through that much trouble to put one on a Squier when you can get a Lightwave model, or one from The Bass Company for a little more without having to mess with it, yourself.

Can you imagine a Lightwave that was as easy to add to an existing bass as a BadAss II on a Fender? The mind is boggled by a thought such as this.... :cool:
  12. I would take my Badass II off of my MIM P-bass, rip out the frets and slap the Badass Lightwave®

:cool: on and mwah away!!!
  13. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Yeah. The company should miniaturize everything and build it into a one-piece bridge assembly that's powered by a watch battery.

Maybe in a few years...
  14. japan has had it 6 years befor us
  15. Okay, but when I contacted them about buying one, they said sure and sent me all the pricing info. I don't know how much they want that publicized, hence my prior post.