1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

lightweight 15" cab with deep lows

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mrmoore, Sep 26, 2013.

1. mrmoore

mrmoore

Jul 19, 2005
    I'm an old (67) player whose been doing this since a teen ager. Now Ive been playing small stuff, using a Mark Bass CMD 102P. I am now shopping again for a bottom box, to add sound when I occasionally play bigger gigs. I really want a single 15" box, that will reproduce deep lows, BUT I don't want to strain my milk trying to load it. Any suggestions on a speaker cab? Mark Bass, Hartke, SWR? Would love to get the matching Mark Bass 15" cab., but they are a little pricey. Thanks, Mark

2. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen Commercial User

Jul 24, 2009
    Bristol, UK
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    Really deep, or as deep as you generally hear bass? Fearful 15/6, or the Barefaced new jobs, which are 12s, but they'll do what you think you need a 15 for. Actually deep lows is an expensive game, but people kid themselves about how deep they really need often.

3. +1 to all of this.

Deep lows? skip the markbass cabs all together. IMHO they are overpriced poopiee.

4. MarkBass Club 151. Very good and light, 33 lbs. It is discontinued but if you can get it you won't be disappoited. And it is equipped with proper compression horn tweeter, not the piezo one.

5. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
  6. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I have 2 GK Neo112's and I disagree. Mine have plenty of lows. I would think the 115 would give a little more. I regularly play a 5 string through mine. Could depend on how you eq as well. I slam mine pretty good!

7. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Compared the Big One prototype (15/6) with the Big Baby 2 pre-production example (Barefaced Generation One vs Generation Three) earlier today and the BB2 isn't a whole lot quieter yet sounds deeper! Much better transient response, particularly in the lows and low-mids.

8. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    I love the Avatar Cabinets. I can carry my B115 with one hand.

9. afiaowo

afiaowo

Jan 9, 2006
  10. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    I wouldn't call the GK stuff specifically tuned for deep.

The fEARFul stuff is great for that.

11. stonewall

stonewall

Jun 14, 2010
    ontario,Canada
    how about a NEO 18 ?

12. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    "neo 18"

Speaker size has absolutely nothing to do with cab tuning.

13. thetaxmiser

thetaxmiser Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2002
    Sonoma County, CA, USA
    I think we may be making too much out of "deep lows". Maybe he is just looking for a cab with some balls. If the Markbass stuff is too much $s then the fearful and barefaced stuff may be too pricey. many of the cabs mentioned (GK, genz) will deliver a nice gut punch. Not super detuned sub lows (which in my opinion seldom work well on stage), but a nice authoritative fundamental tone.

14. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    "Strain my milk"? That's a new one on me, and I have no idea what it means, but I like it.

15. So, what's your budget, Mark? Also, you say you really want a single 15", but I expect that's really based on experiences with cabinets you know. For a really light rig with unexpectedly good LF response, it's surprising what a fEARful 12/6 can do. If you can consider building, you may get close to your budget with a 12/6 & you won't have to worry about straining milk ;-)

You can get complete kits from speakerhardware.com, and for comparison a TB link for a sub-$700 15/6 - drivers (particularly the Alpha mid) will be a considerable saving on the 12/6 over the 15 (http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f15/fearful-less-avatar-carvin-1016411/index3.html#post14917626).
    Peter

16. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Me too. I may start using that one :ninja:

17. christw

christw Get low!

May 11, 2008
    Dayton OH
    I want to be Tesla (tinkerer at Dayton Amp Co)
    Please let that be a new TB fad! :D

The Randy Jackson signature head + 115 cab was pretty cool when I tried it. It was the only Markbass I ever liked. If you want to match brands, I'd suggest trying that.

18. +1 on this cab.

19. Marko 1

Marko 1

Mar 9, 2009
    N.E. Ohio
    I'd just add a MarkBass 2x10 extension cab.