Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Lightweight 2x10 Cabs?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by berklee46, Jul 29, 2001.

1. berklee46

berklee46 Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2000
    MA
    Due to a back injury, I had to put my Eden 210-XLT's up for sale and must now find a pair of lightweight/smaller 2x10 cabs.

I'd appreciate any comments/opinions of 2x10's that you have used.

Thanks.

2. Try the Eden 210 Wedge. I use one through a Eden World Tour Amp. Its fairly light and because you position it in front of you onstage your volume is lower.

3. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    The Eden Wedge will save you almost 20lbs. The EA VL210 will be less than 10 lbs. lighter.

I have 2 D210XLT's myself and I'm looking at the new Aguilar GS112. At 42 lbs. and a relatively low price (~$350) they look pretty interesting. I have a used EA VL110 coming in tomorrow, have to see how it works out. It's tiny.

4. Even though the sound quality might not be the best, the Nemesis cabs are all really light. Good luck finding a good cab(s)!

5. berklee46

berklee46 Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2000
    MA
    I'm leaning towards the Flite Sound 2x10 cabinet. I've spoken to Kurt and he can make a 3-way 2x10 cabinet with a 5" midrange and tweeter for around $500.
    To me, that seems like a similar setup as the EA, or other simliar 3-ways, but for a lot more reasonable price...

Anyone have experience with these?

I'm also considering the Euphonic Audio 2x8 cabinets (if I can find them anywhere)

6. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    Let me recommend the Carvin 2x10; I owned one for a couple years and was quite pleased with its sound, and my e-drummer has been beating the living hell out of it for the last 18 mos. and it keeps on ticking. Of course it isn't as flat as the EA cabs .

I own an EA 208 and am an EA dealer; it is a small cabinet but heavy (50lbs) and unavailable right now except where a dealer may have one in stock. I heard EA's new 1x12 cabinet at NAMM (not available just yet) and the CXL series are as impressive as the VL series were. Perhaps a pair of 1x10 or 1x12 EAs might be another choice, though they aren't cheap.

www.gollihur.com/kkbass/ea.html

7. guac mole

guac mole

Jun 6, 2001
    San Diego, Ca
    I saw a review for one of the 2x10's in the last BP magazine. Anyone know the weight of these or let alone play out of them? I'm looking for a 2x10 cab that will satisfy my midrange hunger. I called bass northwest and they list it 100 more.

neil

8. guac mole

guac mole

Jun 6, 2001
    San Diego, Ca
    well to finish my reply. it lists $100 more than the eden 210xlt. is it worth it?

9. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
  10. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    I had an Eden 2x10 XLT and DREADED carrying
    that thing. Sounds pretty good, but heavy
    and awkward.

Some light 2x10's:

Acme: 50lbs, easy to carry, need power, low
    coloration
    SWR Goliath Jr: 50lbs, easy to carry, generously
    applies coloration (great if you like SWR sound)
    Ashdown 2x10: never played but looks like the
    are only 41 lbs!!!!!! (wow) backsave. heard
    good things about the tone. call bassnw. on
    sale now too i think.

Parting words: As I'm sure you know, back
    problems can be very serious and chronic -
    and expensive. Do yourself a favor and get
    single 1x10's. Cost will be a little more but
    nothing compared to back treatment.
    How about: 2 1x10's or your choice and a
    Bag End 1x15 (41lbs and very easy to carry?)

11. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    That's a reasonable price for the Flites, but no better than the price for an Acme Low B-2, which is also a 2-10-based 3-way system and which you can get shipped to your door for $480. The Acme will weigh a bit more than the Flite, I guess, but still less than the Eden. I've never heard a Flite and so can't comment, but the Acme sounds great if you like a clean uncolored sound with real bass.

12. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    That's a reasonable price for the Flites, but no better than the price for an Acme Low B-2, which is also a 2-10-based 3-way system and which you can get shipped to your door for $480. The Acme will weigh a bit more than the Flite, I guess, but still less than the Eden. I've never heard a Flite and so can't comment, but the Acme sounds great if you like a clean uncolored sound with real bass.

13. Good thinking on the single 1x10. From another thread, I got a good description of the dual shelf porting system used in the Eden... that has got to add more weight.

Dropping back to a single 1x10 will probably (a guess) get you MORE effective cabinet volume for the 10" than you would get when 2 or more are crammed into the cabinet.

The CXM-110 sure has nice specs: 26 pounds, (claimed) response to 36 Hz and 20 KHz, and a 98 SPL rating.

14. i'm just wondering what the best 2x10's would be. No matter how heavy they are!!

i want tone quality, and if i can carry 4x10's i think i could handle the meanest 2x10

over and out!

15. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
  16. Rock City

Rock City

Apr 8, 2001
    Boston,Ma
    Hey Guys,
    Do yourselves a favor and check out the Bergantino 1x12 cabinets! Ed Friedland raves about them on his site Bass Station. These weigh about 40 pounds and are amazing even with 5 string. They're a little more money than some others out there, BUT MAN they kick a$$

17. Oh my gosh. I went out today to buy a new 2 x 10 cab. I was going to buy the Eden 210XLT, but then I saw something else. The SWR Goliath Junior III. That thing was deeper, punchier, and cleaner, and it weighed an ass load less. I can pick this thing up with one hand, and carry an amp in the other!! this thing is Excellent. I would recommend it.