1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Lightweight 410 comparison: berg, epifani, eden, avatar

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by toniwonkanobi, Apr 6, 2009.

1. toniwonkanobi

toniwonkanobi Supporting Member

May 23, 2008
    Northern California
    Endorsing: 1964 Ears, LLC.
    Hey guys,

Just curious what your thoughts are on these cabs:

Looking for a lightweight 410 to gig with. So far, the Epifani UL is 57 lbs, five lbs lighter than the berg, eight lbs lighter than the avatar, and eighteen lbs lighter than eden's.

I plan on matching one of these cabs with an eden wt800c, but don't let that cloud your judgement too much.

I've heard the avatar sounds really good "for the money," but is it as good as those boutique's and eden's?

2. From what I've read here, Avatar cabs will get the job done very well and save you a bundle, but if you really want that top (or bottom?) edge to your sound, go with the more expensive option (personally I would say Eden, but that's because it's the only one out of the brands listed that I've tried, and they're really good cabs.)

3. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

FYI the current Epifani 410UL is now around 68 pounds (they are not using that nice lightweight Italian Poplar any more).

The Eden Neo cabs are just their current cabs with Neo's replacing the regular drivers. That's why the weight is at the higher end of the neo continuum. I'd avoid those. The Berg and Epi are Neo cabs built and tuned from the bottom up.

The 410UL (8ohm) is a very very nice match to the WT800. The WT800 bridged at 8ohms drives that cab to full volume without having to run that amp at 4ohms bridged (resulting in each side running at 2ohms and working hard).

I do not like the pairing of the Eden heads with the very mid voiced and punchy Bergantino AE410. That's a little too much of a good thing. Of course, the WT800 has powerful EQ that can widen that voicing out, but I prefer the 410UL match-up, in that it sounds great pretty much right out of the box.

I am not really familiar with the Avatar cabs. They get good price/value reviews, but not sure how they would stand up in direct comparison to the Berg or Epi.

IMO.

4. I also depends on what sound you are looking for,are you looking for a smooth cab with some mid scoop or a in your face cab?
    I have had Eden and BagEnd cabs and it was really hard to justify schlepping a 80 to 90lbs 4x10 Cab that still needed another 15 cab to give it that bottom end that Im looking for.
    The BagEnd and Eden do have a very distinct tonal quality that the Avatar cabs do not have but how much of that do you really hear in the mix.
    I think that for the money you cant beat Avatar Cabs,the Cabs are built well although not as good as the BE and Eden cabs as for the speakers I think that one of Dave's techs at Avatar put it best "we have a great speaker that works well in our cabs"
    I have not had the pleasure of trying a Schroeder yet but if I can justify spending double that I would on a Avatar then I will have to treat myself one day.
    I have read hear on TB that Eden might be getting behind on the Neo craze although when I break out my old Peavey 2x15 Cab with New Ceramic Eminence speakers and you can feel the Bass along with the Avatar 2x12/2x10 that does the cutting through it does bring a smile to me and the rest of the band thats not to say that the Neo's cant do the same thing but there is just something about heavy ceramic cabs that appeals to me also.

5. toniwonkanobi

May 23, 2008
    Northern California
    Thanks everyone for your comments. I really appreciate it! Basically i just want to make sure that i won't be severely disappointed if I grab an avatar 410. Really, i don't think i can afford the epi or berg, unless there was some sreaming deal somewhere, which i'm always looking for btw!

I just don't want to get the avatar and plug it into the eden head and go "oh, well i guess it's okay for the money.." ya know?

6. The Avatar is not as refind sounding as the 4x10 BE and Eden that I had for a side by side comparison but it goes much lower and is more of a standalone cab in my opinion and cuts through really well and like I have heard and mentioned you dont really hear those differences in the mix.
    I dont feel like I have settled for a good price at all.
    I also felt like I had to treat the BE and Eden like they were a prized possesion and not that I am rough with the Avatar's I just dont stress on them as much.

7. Lia_G

Lia_G

Oct 27, 2005
    Where in California are you? If you're near a Carvin store, it can't hurt to try out the BRX10.4 Neo cab. KJung hates it. ;) But I actually like it. Haven't played it on a gig, although I've gigged several times with the 2x10 version. I did play the BRX10.4 at the San Diego store, though, and liked it. It also seemed lighter than its listed weight.

Anyway, just thought that if you're near a store where you could hear it in person, it might be worth a trip.

Good luck, whatever you decide!

Liam

8. toniwonkanobi

May 23, 2008
    Northern California
    Ya know, a friend of mine plays through a carvin 210 and it may have been the venue, but it sounded so "honky" to my ears. Could be due to a number of factors, though. Anyways, thanks for your suggestion. Maybe the 410 is better.

9. Lia_G

Lia_G

Oct 27, 2005
    Which Carvin 210? The BRX series are vastly different than any other Carvin bass cabs. I don't care for their other bass cabs as much, although I like the BR115 for old-school tone.

Anyway, like I said, the BRX cabs are a completely different design than any other Carvins, and imho sound very nice.

Cheers,
    Liam

10. There's no trial or return period for Avatar, so you'd be stuck with it or have to sell it if you didn't like. So, I'd go find a used a Berg or Epi, I got the Berg HT210s coming today!

11. toniwonkanobi

May 23, 2008
    Northern California
    hey i checked out their site and the bxt neo is 76 lbs! that's as much as the 'hefty' eden! haha, well not really heavy compared to the old style drivers, but not as light as the avatar, berg, or epifani

12. Lia_G

Lia_G

Oct 27, 2005
    Like I said, it feels lighter to me. And every Eden product I've owned has been much heavier than advertised (especially my DC112XLT combo ... advertised at 49 pounds, actual weight 62!).

But now I'm ending up sounding like a Carvin shill, and I don't mean to! My only real point is that if you're near a Carvin store, you could hear the cab in person, and also lift it and see what you think.

Best Wishes,
    Liam, who is not an employee nor otherwise compensated by Carvin ... ;)

13. I'm still hoping to hear some of the cabs mentioned, but I will say that I'm a big fan of Epi stuff. I absolutely love mine. And not to hawk my own stuff (sorry!) but I do have a series 1 (57lbs) UL-410 for sale right now...I think it's down on page 112 of the classifieds. :D Figured I'd mention it just in case you're in Norcal. Good luck with your search. As others have suggested, I think the ultimate answer is to try out as many as you can and see what works best for you.

14. toniwonkanobi

May 23, 2008
    Northern California
    well guys, with the help of Ken and other TBers' discussion, i'm going to go with the UL-410. Hopefully it'll be in my possession soon! Thanks for all your help!

15. Lia_G

Lia_G

Oct 27, 2005
    I haven't played the 410, but have played some other Epi cabs and was very impressed. Hope you love it! Post a review when you have a chance ...

All the best,
    Liam