1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Lightweight active P with Jazz neck?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jamesemt, Mar 4, 2010.

1. Jamesemt

Jamesemt

Jan 6, 2006
    Hull, UK
    After going through what feels like hundreds of basses I think I have narrowed down what I want.

Firstly the bass has to be light as I've got an old shoulder injury.

Must have a 1.5'' Jazz neck as I've got small hands and larger necks give me hand cramps.

Must have a Precision pickup and be active. I've just bought a Sadowsky MV Jazz but it doesn't cut through with the band - I think it's due to not having a Precision pickup. I prefer active as it just feels easier for me to get the sound I want.

I got 'my' sound out of an 81 Precision special (with the painted headstock, not the MIM later ones) but couldn't get on with the neck/weight. That bass was active but it was only a 2 band. I found that it sounded like a beefy Precision when running active. Very easy to just add a touch of bass then simply alter the treble to suit the song.

So...any ideas what will work for me? I'm thinking about a Reggie Hamilton if I can find a sub 9lb one, although that is a 3 band EQ.

Any other basses I should look at? What about the Duff McKagan? I'm getting a custom made bass but its at least another 18 months away...and need something to tide me over :)

Thanks in advance

2. Luckydog

Luckydog

Dec 25, 1999
    Sadowsky PJ?

3. Jamesemt

Jamesemt

Jan 6, 2006
    Hull, UK
    Forgot to add that Sadowsky's are quite difficult to find in this country...

4. TeamTrejo

TeamTrejo

Oct 12, 2008
    Franklin WI
    Look for a Fender Precision Lyte Deluxe. You can buy them fairly inexpensively, then sell it for what you paid when you get your custom.

The Lyte seem to fit all your requirements. Though it is a PJ.

[​IMG]

5. troy mcclure

troy mcclure Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2007
    Central Florida
    I have the Fender P lyte (non deluxe) weighs about 7 lbs...I love it. They can be had in the US for $300 rather than $550 or so for the Deluxe.

6. TeamTrejo

TeamTrejo

Oct 12, 2008
    Franklin WI
    True. The non-deluxe are much easier to find too.

7. barks

barks

Jan 21, 2004
    Derby, UK
  8. Jamesemt

Jamesemt

Jan 6, 2006
    Hull, UK
    A Precision Lyte is definitely a contender. Problem is finding a nice one in the UK - there's only one on ebay worldwide.
    How similar is the Duff McKagan model?

9. Jamesemt

Jamesemt

Jan 6, 2006
    Hull, UK
    Sorry, should have added that Sadowsky's are difficult find second hand - I've only really got a £1k to spend on one. Just missed one on Basschat...

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 30, 2020