1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Lightweight all tube heads/poweramps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Golem II, Jul 14, 2002.

1. Golem II

Golem II

Jan 4, 2002
    Macon, GA, USA
    I'm thinking about trying the "tube poweramp signal tapped and amplified through a solid state amp" (kind of like Warwick's protube amps) trick for my rig, and I was wondering if anyone had a recommendation for a small, lightweight, preferably rackmountable tube amp. It should be under 40 lbs (even under 30 if that's feasible) and it doesn't need to put out a lot of wattage or anything. Would a "guitar" poweramp be appropriate in this situation, or would it have trouble handling bass signal?

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Too bad that Hughes & Kettner doesn't produce the BassMaster (Batt in the U.S.) anymore, that unit would've been perfect for you.
    a 9.5" rack unit with a tube preamp and a little 1xEL84 poweramp.

Maybe you can find one used.

From The Bottom Line:

3. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    You should check out the SWR interstellar overdrive. It's a one rackspace unit preamp but it has a real power tube in it. I think the output is something like 4 watts.

4. Tapp

Tapp

Aug 29, 2001
    USA, Mississippi
    Actually the SWR IOD has 2 power tubes in it and 1 pre tube. It's got a push-pull EL84 section but only delivers a stated 8W or so. The H&K used a single-ended output stage (if memory serves).

Tapp