Lightweight all tube heads/poweramps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Golem II, Jul 14, 2002.

1. Golem II

Golem II

Jan 4, 2002
    Macon, GA, USA
    I'm thinking about trying the "tube poweramp signal tapped and amplified through a solid state amp" (kind of like Warwick's protube amps) trick for my rig, and I was wondering if anyone had a recommendation for a small, lightweight, preferably rackmountable tube amp. It should be under 40 lbs (even under 30 if that's feasible) and it doesn't need to put out a lot of wattage or anything. Would a "guitar" poweramp be appropriate in this situation, or would it have trouble handling bass signal?
  2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Too bad that Hughes & Kettner doesn't produce the BassMaster (Batt in the U.S.) anymore, that unit would've been perfect for you.
    a 9.5" rack unit with a tube preamp and a little 1xEL84 poweramp.

Maybe you can find one used.

From The Bottom Line:

3. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    You should check out the SWR interstellar overdrive. It's a one rackspace unit preamp but it has a real power tube in it. I think the output is something like 4 watts.
  4. Tapp

Aug 29, 2001
    USA, Mississippi
    Actually the SWR IOD has 2 power tubes in it and 1 pre tube. It's got a push-pull EL84 section but only delivers a stated 8W or so. The H&K used a single-ended output stage (if memory serves).