1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

lightweight amp

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by 16fuss, Sep 1, 2008.

1. 16fuss

16fuss

Apr 25, 2005
    hi, i am looking for a super-portable combo to play db and bassguitar. i need it for a job with 100+ gigs a year, so it should be easy to lug around and not more cables than absolutely needed. i would prefer a 2 channel amp- but using a preamp+ active speaker could be the way... it should be a bit powerfull too to keep up with a brassband. i need a usable di-out.

i use a ai head with ampeg portabass 10- this is what i like (in fact perfect for the job exept it is not a combo), but i cant use my private equipment for this job. they will buy something for me. the ai combo seems to fit, but i am unsure if it can handle a loud bassguitar. i dont want to spend 10 minutes on every gig to find a good ampplacing, so would you buy a downfiring combo?

i hope i will get some help from you!

Thanks

2. interp

interp Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2005
    Garmisch, Germany
  3. bolo

bolo

May 29, 2005
    Apex, NC
    Depends on how you define lightweight. In terms of sound quality, and if it has to be a combo, I'd add the combos from Euphonic Audio to your audition list. That includes the iAMP 200 C and the iAMP 500 C w/ the Wizzy speaker, or the iAMP 800 C. I've owned an iAMP 200 C "Wizzy" combo for several years and I like it quite a bit for both DB and EB.

If those are too heavy, than the Wizzy 10 cab from EA w/ a Micro 300 head or a Clarus or Focus head from Acoustic Image would be much lighter. Smaller and lighter total package than most combos, but they are separates.

[ Edit - I see now you already have an AI head and a Glockenklang speaker. Nice. This has to be a combo eh? ]

4. Or how about 15lbs lighter (29lbs compare to 44lbs), less fancy, much cheaper, probably not as great but still sounding fabulous: Markbass Mini CMD 121P combo.

5. bassist14

bassist14

Oct 17, 2005
    Germany
  6. bolo

bolo

May 29, 2005
    Apex, NC
    Since you mentioned a DI out, you will be using this w/ a PA then I take it? In other words the combo is really more like a monitor for you and perhaps the other musicians on stage?

7. bolo

bolo

May 29, 2005
    Apex, NC
    Also maybe search a bit here on TB and also look at the specs for the Phil Jones Flightcase, or better yet the newer Super Flightcase.

8. 16fuss

16fuss

Apr 25, 2005
    that was fast!

@bolo: yes, it is a monitor only, but the band is realy loud.

i did a search and i know some amps. i am new to doubling and i was just wondering if there is a lightweight (15 kg max!!!)combo just for this case!

iamp and aer are REALLY heavy, arent they? the markbass could be an option.

seems i have to pair a light cab with another ai...

maybe someone has more ideas?

9. bolo

bolo

May 29, 2005
    Apex, NC
    Forgot to mention the Genz-Benz Shuttle 3.0-10T. Super light weight. There are some reviews in this forum, all positive.

Pretty much the same story for the Phil Jones stuff I mentioned in my previous post. Search a bit for more info on either of these options.

10. Rvl

Rvl

Dec 23, 2003
    Aomori Japan
    I have a EA Wizzy Combo and a Phil Jones Flightcase
    I use the EA for louder gigs

I am not sure if I should put this news here
    In talking to EA , they have a more powerful EA Micro coming out end of the year

I will probably get that new EA Micro and use that with my Wizzy 12. I really like the Wizzy 12 because it has alot of depth to it. It sounds like a smooth 1x15 cab but in a much more portable. Easy for me to carry a Wizzy 12 up and down stairs , but need a cart to carry it for miles or on and off trains . I am looking for a Wizzy 10 to try out but am really afraid it wont have that deep bottom of the 12

Please take what i say with a grain of salt. I come from old school and grew up on Ampeg B15 and B25 . Later on with MesaBoogie 2x15 and for 10+ years a 1x15 SWR Basic Black

Thanks

Robert VanLane

11. AI Focus II series 3 with the Schroeder 1212 light makes the perfect couple for as wel upright as well as electric. Much more power than the AER basscube. And don't do Markbass, they're no good for upright.

You want a combo: Just mount the Focus amp on the Schroeder cab and there you go.

By the way: The iamps nowadays are lightweight also. Should be interesting to compare the abovementioned with the iamp800 combo. Unfortunately the EA's are rare here in Europe and I never got a chance to try one.

12. Nuno A.

Nuno A. Velvet Strings Customer Service

Jul 9, 2001
    SWITZERLAND

Whats your experience with Markbass and why dont you like them for Double Bass? the Markbass little head with 2 channels is tempting, although the new EA micro sounds very good too.
    and what about the schroeder 1212 light ? i heard bad and good things , is it an agressive sounding cab or fat and smooth? somebody mentioned they were very high mid scooped.
    thanks in advance, i will be amp shopping in the near future and all the mentioned products are in my list .

Nuno

13. bolo

bolo

May 29, 2005
    Apex, NC
    Hey Robert. I caught that. More powerful? Any other changes in the feature set that you know of?

14. Nuno A.

Nuno A. Velvet Strings Customer Service

Jul 9, 2001
    SWITZERLAND
    Gary Told me that they would put out "an updated micro" , but he didnt mention more power.. the plot thickens:help:

Nuno

15. 16fuss

16fuss

Apr 25, 2005
    hi guys, thanks for the answers. it still seem the ai-combo ist the only available lightweight amp with 2 channels. i am very attracted by the weight of the combo! has anyone played the new one with bassguitar? is the series 3 louder than the 2nd series?

sadly the genz benz is available as one channel only. could be ok with a preamp, but this means extra cables...

ea is not available in germany, where i am from. (you probably already know)

16. bolo

bolo

May 29, 2005
    Apex, NC
    Yes, the Series III has more power than the Series II. From Bob G's web site:

"The Contra, Coda, and Clarus models increased from 200w to 400w at 4 ohms. The Focus models went up from 600w to 800w at 4 ohms."
    And from the AI web site:
    "How much power do you require? The greatest benefit of more wattage is greater dynamic headroom, not the ability to play louder. If in doubt, more power reserve is generally better, particularly since, with AI, it doesnÂ’t involved a tradeoff with greater weight or lower sensitivity. But, keep in mind that electric bass generally requires more power than other instruments. So, if you are an electric bassists, you should consider the Focus amps."​
    The last two sentences caught my attention, although it doesn't say you must have a Focus for EB. The Contra combo amp uses the Clarus head which has lower power than the Focus. But w/ a PA and montors and all that ...

You probably already know the DI on those heads has a nice sound (i.e. transparent).

17. Markbass is good for BG. But somehow it doesn't deliver the sound I expect from an upright. Not enough definition. This could be a matter of taste offcoarse.
    The Schroeder 1212 light is perfect for double bass to my taste. It's heavily low-mid scoped and sounds quite agressive and fat at the same time. To add a bit of smoothness I use the onboard delay or chorus. Very nice in conjunction with the bow.
    My last gig was in open air without PA. Both input and output volume were at 3 o'clock and I needed to turn down the lows with the eq. (11 o'clock) to deminish feedback from open strings and dampen them (which is tough to do when bowing). This also had to do with the vibrating wooden floor we were standing upon.
    There's always some extra headroom left from the amp. So I am very pleased with it.
    To be able to controll feedback better in the future I now bought the AER 12/400A (=active) sub. This not only gives me 400 watts extra power but mainly the ability to spread the sound: A bit for me and the band and the rest for the audience. The Schroeder was right behind our drummer and he literally fell from his stool when I hit the first note. Which is not a good thing to start......
    For BG there was never any need for more than half the power. Because it sounds so punchy. I hope the AER delivers the extra ultra low end which the Schroeder lacks and could smoothen the sound a bit. If there's a PA then the Schroeder is more than enough to cut through the mix under all circumstances.

18. Rvl

Rvl

Dec 23, 2003
    Aomori Japan
    I realize that EA is not available in Germany but you can have a EA Micro shipped to you
    EA Micro has an international voltage power supply on it 100v-220v
    In 6 weeks they will upgrade the power supply to 100v-240v

The only other head I know of that has this kind of international voltage is the Genz Shuttle

Thanks

Robert VanLane

19. Rvl

Rvl

Dec 23, 2003
    Aomori Japan
    Sorry I dont know about any other changes
    Although I do wish it had a regular Di out with a post/pre switch

Thanks

Robert VanLane

20. There is an iamp500 combo for sale in Germany at the moment:
    http://www.geba-online.de/Marktplatz.php4?rubrik=alle

However with the amount he is asking I guess it's cheaper to let a new one ship to you from the US.